Skip to content
Turkey Facts for Kids
- Country Name: Turkey
- Continent: Asia, Europe
- Primary Language: Turkish
- Population: 82,003,882 (2018 estimate)
- Currency: Turkish lira (TRY)
- GDP: 771.35 billion (2018, World Bank)
23 Turkey Facts for Kids
- Turkey is a transcontinental country, with 97% of the country is in Asia and the remaining 3% in Europe.
- The official name for Turkey is the Republic of Turkey.
- A native or resident of Turkey is called a Turkish.
- The primary language spoken in Turkey is Turkish.
- The capital city of Turkey is Ankara.
- The population of Turkey was 82,003,882 based on 2018 estimates.
- According to estimates by the United Nations in 2019, Turkey was the 18th most populated country in the world.
- The national currency of Turkey is the Turkish lira (TRY).
- In 2018, the World Bank estimated the GDP of Turkey was 771.35 billion USD.
- According to estimates by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) Turkey was 13th on the list of countries with the highest GDP (PPP) in 2019.
- The country of Turkey covers 302,535 square miles.
- Turkey is the 36th largest country by square miles.
- The largest city in Turkey is Istanbul.
- The highest point in Turkey is Mount Ararat (“Ağrı Dağı” in Turkish) at 16,854 feet.
- The longest river in Turkey is the Kızılırmak River, also known as the Halys River at 842 miles long.
- The largest lake in Turkey is Lake Van at 1,449.81 square miles.
- The government of Turkey is a Unitary presidential constitutional republic.
- Turkey is divided into 81 provinces.
- Drivers in Turkey drive on the right side of the road.
- The country calling code for Turkey is +90.
- The ISO 3166 code for Turkey is TR.
- The national anthem of Turkey is called “İstiklal Marşı” or “Independence March”.
- It’s estimated that 99.8% of the people living in Turkey are Muslim.
Find More Facts About Turkey