Turkey Facts for Kids

A Picture of the Flag of Turkey
  • Country Name: Turkey
  • Continent: Asia, Europe
  • Primary Language: Turkish
  • Population: 82,003,882 (2018 estimate)
  • Currency: Turkish lira (TRY)
  • GDP: 771.35 billion (2018, World Bank)

23 Turkey Facts for Kids

  1. Turkey is a transcontinental country, with 97% of the country is in Asia and the remaining 3% in Europe.
  2. The official name for Turkey is the Republic of Turkey.
  3. A native or resident of Turkey is called a Turkish.
  4. The primary language spoken in Turkey is Turkish.
  5. The capital city of Turkey is Ankara.
  6. The population of Turkey was 82,003,882 based on 2018 estimates.
  7. According to estimates by the United Nations in 2019, Turkey was the 18th most populated country in the world.
  8. The national currency of Turkey is the Turkish lira (TRY).
  9. In 2018, the World Bank estimated the GDP of Turkey was 771.35 billion USD.
  10. According to estimates by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) Turkey was 13th on the list of countries with the highest GDP (PPP) in 2019.
  11. The country of Turkey covers 302,535 square miles.
  12. Turkey is the 36th largest country by square miles.
  13. The largest city in Turkey is Istanbul.
  14. The highest point in Turkey is Mount Ararat (“Ağrı Dağı” in Turkish) at 16,854 feet.
  15. The longest river in Turkey is the Kızılırmak River, also known as the Halys River at 842 miles long.
  16. The largest lake in Turkey is Lake Van at 1,449.81 square miles.
  17. The government of Turkey is a Unitary presidential constitutional republic.
  18. Turkey is divided into 81 provinces.
  19. Drivers in Turkey drive on the right side of the road.
  20. The country calling code for Turkey is +90.
  21. The ISO 3166 code for Turkey is TR.
  22. The national anthem of Turkey is called “İstiklal Marşı” or “Independence March”.
  23. It’s estimated that 99.8% of the people living in Turkey are Muslim.

Find More Facts About Turkey