Skip to content
- Country Name: Egypt
- Continent: Africa, Asia
- Primary Language: Arabic
- Population: 94,798,827 (2017 Census)
- Currency: Egyptian pound (EGP)
- GDP: 250.895 billion (2018, World Bank)
27 Egypt Facts for Kids
- Egypt is a transcontinental country, extending from the northeast corner of Africa to the southwest corner of Asia.
- Most of Egypt is in Africa, and it is connected to Asia by the Sinai Peninsula. Sinai is a 23,000 square mile land bridge and the only part of Egypt in Asia.
- The official name for Egypt is the Arab Republic of Egypt.
- A native or resident of Egypt is called an Egyptian.
- The primary language spoken in Egypt is Arabic.
- The capital city of Egypt is Cairo.
- The population of Egypt was 94,798,827 according to a 2017 census.
- According to estimates by the United Nations in 2019, Egypt was the 14th most populated country in the world.
- Egypt has a population of an estimated 91% Egyptian ethnicity.
- The national currency of Egypt is the Egyptian pound (EGP).
- In 2018, the World Bank estimated the GDP of Egypt Egypt was 250.895 billion USD.
- According to estimates by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Egypt was 19th on the list of countries with the highest GDP (PPP) in 2019.
- The country of Egypt covers 387,050 square miles.
- Egypt is the 31st largest country by square miles.
- The largest city in Egypt is Cairo.
- The highest point in Egypt is Mount Catherine, also known as Gabal Katrîne at 8,625 feet.
- The longest river in Egypt and the world is the Nile River att 4,130 miles long.
- The largest lake in Egypt is Lake Nasser at 2,030 square miles.
- Lake Nasser in Egypt is one of the largest man-made lakes in the world.
- The government of Egypt is a Unitary semi-presidential republic.
- Egypt is divided into 27 governorates.
- Drivers in Egypt drive on the right side of the road.
- The country calling code for Egypt is +20.
- The ISO 3166 code for Egypt is EG.
- The national anthem of Egypt is called “Bilādī, laki Ḥubbī wa Fūʾādī” or “Bilady, Bilady, Bilady” in English.
- It’s estimated that 94.9% of the people living in Egypt are Muslim.
- In Egypt religion is permitted by law.
Find More Facts About Egypt