Skip to content
South Korea Facts
- Country Name: South Korea
- Continent: Asia
- Primary Language: Korean
- Population: 51,709,098 (2019 estimate)
- Currency: Korean Republic won (KRW)
- GDP: 1.619 trillion (2018, World Bank)
26 South Korea Facts for Kids
- South Korea is a country on the continent of Asia.
- The official name for South Korea is the Republic of Korea.
- A native or resident of South Korea is called Korean or South Korean.
- The primary language spoken in South Korea is Korean.
- The capital city of South Korea is Seoul.
- The population of South Korea was 51,709,098 based on 2019 estimates.
- South Korea uses universal healthcare and has the second-best healthcare system in the world.
- According to estimates by the United Nations in 2019, South Korea was the 28th most populated country in the world.
- The national currency of South Korea is the Korean Republic won (KRW).
- In 2018, the World Bank estimated the GDP of South Korea was 1.619 trillion USD.
- According to estimates by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), South Korea was 14th on the list of countries with the highest GDP (PPP) in 2019.
- The country of South Korea covers 38,502 square miles.
- South Korea is the 100th largest country by square miles.
- The largest city in South Korea is Seoul.
- Seoul in South Korea is 4th on the list of metropolitan areas with the highest GDP and is ranked as a global city.
- The highest point in South Korea is Hallasan Mountain at 6,388 feet.
- The longest river in South Korea is the Nakdong River at 320 miles.
- The largest lake in South Korea is Chungju Lake at 59 square miles.
- The government of South Korea is a unitary presidential constitutional republic.
- South Korea is divided into nine provinces.
- Drivers in South Korea drive on the right side of the road.
- The country calling code for South Korea is +82.
- The ISO 3166 code for South Korea is KR.
- The national anthem of South Korea is called “Aegukga” or “Love Country Song”, often referred to as “The Patriotic Song”.
- The motto of South Korea is “Hongik Ingan” or “To broadly Benefit Humanity/Devotion to Human Welfare” in English.
- According to results from a 2015 census, about 57% of South Korea’s population were atheist.
Find More Facts About South Korea