Skip to content
North Korea Facts
- Country Name: North Korea
- Continent: Asia
- Primary Language: Korean
- Population: 25,549,604 (2018 estimate)
- Currency: Korean People’s won (KPW)
- GDP: 30 billion (2017 estimate)
26 North Korea Facts for Kids
- North Korea is a country on the continent of Asia.
- The official name for North Korea is the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
- A native or resident of North Korea is called a Korean or North Korean.
- The primary language spoken in North Korea is Korean.
- The capital of North Korea is Pyongyang.
- The population of North Korea was 25,549,604 based on 2018 estimates.
- According to estimates by the United Nations in 2019, North Korea was the 54th most populated country in the world.
- The national currency of North Korea is the Korean People’s won, or the North Korean won (KPW).
- The GDP of North Korea was 30 billion USD based on 2017 estimates.
- According to estimates by the CIA Factbook, North Korea was 113th on the list of countries with the highest GDP (PPP) in 2015.
- The country of North Korea covers 46,540 square miles.
- North Korea is the 100th largest country by square miles.
- The largest city in North Korea is Pyongyang.
- Pyongyang in North Korea is one of the oldest cities in Korea.
- Pyongyang in North Korea had even been under the control of the Japanese during two different periods. The First Sino-Japanese War and before that during the Japanese invasions of North Korea.
- The highest point in North Korea is Paektu Mountain, also referred to as Baekdu Mountain or Changbai Mountain in China. It lies on the border of North Korea and China.
- Paektu Mountain in North Korea is an active volcano that last erupted in 1903.
- Paektu Mountain in North Korea once erupted around A.D. 946 and created a crater lake now called Heaven Lake. This was ranked seven on the Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) and one of the most powerful volcano eruptions ever recorded.
- The longest river in North Korea is the Yalu River at 490 miles long. The Yalu River creates the North Korea and China border.
- The government of North Korea is a Unitary one-party republic.
- The country of North Korea is divided into nine provinces.
- Drivers in North Korea drive on the right side of the road.
- The country calling code for North Korea is +850.
- The ISO 3166 code for North Korea is KP.
- The national anthem of North Korea is called “Aegukka” or “Patriotic Song” in English.
- North Korea is known as an atheist state, it is estimated that about 64.3% of the population is atheist.
Find More Facts About North Korea