Skip to content
Italy Facts for Kids
- Country Name: Italy
- Continent: Europe
- Primary Language: Italian
- Population: 59,433,744 (2011 Census)
- Currency: Euro (EUR)
- GDP: 2.084 trillion (2018, World Bank)
24 Italy Facts for Kids
- Italy is a country on the European continent (Europe).
- The official name for Italy is the Italian Republic.
- A native or resident of Italy is called an Italian.
- The primary language spoken in Italy is Italian.
- The capital city of Italy is Rome.
- The population of Italy was 59,433,744 according to a 2011 census.
- According to estimates by the United Nations in 2019, Italy was the 23rd most populated country in the world.
- Italy has a population of an estimated 91.5% Italian ethnicity.
- The national currency of Italy is the Euro (EUR).
- In 2018, the World Bank estimated the GDP of Italy was 2.084 trillion USD.
- According to estimates by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Italy was 12th on the list of countries with the highest GDP (PPP) in 2019.
- The country of Italy covers 116,348 square miles.
- Italy is the 71st largest country by square miles.
- The largest city in Italy is Rome.
- The highest point in Italy is Mont Blanc at 15,777 feet.
- The longest river in Italy is the Po River at 405 miles long.
- The largest lake in Italy is Lake Garda at 142 square miles.
- The government of Italy is a Unitary parliamentary republic.
- Italy is divided into 20 regions.
- Drivers in Italy drive on the right side of the road.
- The country calling code for Italy is +39.
- The ISO 3166 code for Italy is IT.
- The national anthem of Italy is called “Il Canto degli Italiani” or “The Song of Italians” in English.
- It’s estimated that 78% of the people living in Italy are Roman Catholic.
Find More Facts About Italy