Skip to content
- Country Name: Nigeria
- Continent: Africa
- Primary Language: English
- Population: 200,962,417 (2019 estimate)
- Currency: Naira (NGN)
- GDP: 397.27 billion (2018, World Bank)
27 Nigeria Facts for Kids
- Nigeria is a country on the continent of Africa.
- The official name for Nigeria is the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- A native or resident of Nigeria is called a Nigerian.
- The primary language spoken in Nigeria is English. However, many still speak their natural language also.
- In Nigeria, over 500 languages have been spoken.
- The capital city of Nigeria is Abuja.
- The population of Nigeria was 200,962,417 based on 2019 estimates.
- According to estimates by the United Nations in 2019, Nigeria was the seventh most populated country in the world.
- Nigeria is home to over 250 ethnic groups.
- The national currency of Nigeria is Naira (NGN).
- In 2018, the World Bank estimated the GDP of Nigeria was 397.27 billion USD.
- According to estimates by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Nigeria was 23rd on the list of countries with the highest GDP (PPP) in 2019.
- The country of Nigeria covers 356,669 square miles.
- Nigeria is the 33rd largest country by square miles.
- The largest city in Nigeria is Lagos.
- The city of Lagos in Nigeria is one of the most populated urban areas, and one of the fastest growing cities in the world.
- The highest point in Nigeria is a hill at 7,936 feet named Chappal Waddi.
- The longest river in Nigeria is the Niger River at 2,600 miles long.
- One of the largest lakes in Nigeria is the natural Oguta Lake.
- The government of Nigeria is a Federal presidential constitutional republic.
- Nigeria is divided into 36 states and one Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
- Drivers in Nigeria drive on the right side of the road.
- The country calling code for Nigeria is +234.
- The ISO 3166 code for Nigeria is NG.
- The national anthem of Nigeria is called “Arise, O Compatriots”.
- The motto of Nigeria is “Unity and Faith, Peace and Progress”.
- It is estimated that of the people living in Nigeria, 51.6% are Muslim, and 47% are Christian.
Find More Facts About Nigeria