Skip to content
- Country Name: Philippines
- Continent: Asia
- Primary Language: English, Filipino
- Population: 100,981,437 (2015 Census)
- Currency: Peso (PHP)
- GDP: 330.91 billion (2018, World Bank)
27 Philippines Facts for Kids
- The Philippines is a country on the continent of Asia.
- The official name for the Philippines is the Republic of the Philippines.
- A native or resident of the Philippines is called a Filipino (male) or Filipina (female). Pinoy and Pinay are also used when referring to people only, not the language.
- The primary languages in the Philippines are English and Filipino.
- The capital city of the Philippines is the City of Manila.
- Manila in the Philippines was the most densely populated city in the world at about 119,600 people per square mile.
- Manila, Philippines, is the second most high-risk capital city in the world.
- The population of the Philippines was 100,981,437 based on a 2015 census.
- According to estimates by the United Nations in 2019, the Philippines was the 13th most populated country in the world.
- The national currency of the Philippines is the Peso (PHP).
- In 2018, the World Bank estimated the GDP of the Philippines was 330.91 billion USD.
- According to estimates by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the Philippines was 26th on the list of countries with the highest GDP (PPP) in 2019.
- The Philippines country covers 115,831 square miles.
- The Philippines is the 74th largest country by square miles.
- The largest city in the Philippines is Quezon City.
- The highest point in the Philippines is Mount Apo at 9,692 feet.
- Mount Apo in the Philippines is an active volcano containing openings in the earth that releases steam and volcanic gases. These openings are known as Fumaroles or a solfatara if rich in sulfur.
- The longest river in the Philippines is the Cagayan River, also referred to as “Rio Grande de Cagayan” at 314 miles long.
- The largest lake in the Philippines is Laguna de Báý, also referred to as Laguna Lake at 356 square miles.
- The government of the Philippines is a Unitary presidential constitutional republic.
- The Philippines is divided into 81 provinces.
- Drivers in the Philippines drive on the right side of the road.
- The country calling code for the Philippines is +63.
- The ISO 3166 code for the Philippines is PH.
- The national anthem of the Philippines is called “Lupang Hinirang” or “Chosen Land” in English.
- The motto of the Philippines is Maka-Diyos, Maka-tao, Makakalikasan at Makabansa or “For God, People, Nature, and Country” in English.
- It is estimated that 91.3% of the people living in the Philippines are Christian.
Find More Facts About Philippines