Skip to content
Norway Facts for Kids
- Country Name: Norway
- Continent: Europe
- Primary Language: Norwegian, Sámi
- Population: 5,367,580 (2020 estimate)
- Currency: Norwegian krone (NOK)
- GDP: 434.167 billion (2018, World Bank)
28 Norway Facts for Kids
- Norway is a country on the continent of Europe.
- The official name for Norway is the Kingdom of Norway.
- A native or resident of Norway is called Norwegian.
- The primary language spoken in Norway is Norwegian and Sámi.
- In Norway, about 95% of the population speaks a form of Norwegian.
- The capital city of Norway is Oslo.
- The population of Norway is 5,367,570 based on 2020 estimates.
- According to estimates by the United Nations in 2019, Norway was the 119th most populated country in the world.
- The national currency of Norway is the Norwegian krone (NOK).
- In 2018, the World Bank estimated the GDP of Norway was 434.167 billion USD.
- According to estimates by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Norway was 47th on the list of countries with the highest GDP (PPP) in 2019.
- The country of Norway covers 125,021 square miles.
- Norway is the 69th largest country by square miles.
- The largest city in Norway is Oslo.
- Oslo is the most populated city of Norway, and is considered a world city or alpha city.
- Oslo in Norway is tied at rank four in most expensive cities in the world, and ranked second in most expensive living expenses in the world.
- The highest point in Norway is the Galdhøpiggen mountain at 8,100 feet.
- The longest river in Norway is the Glomma, also referred to as Glåma at 386 miles long.
- Glomma in Norway has a drainage basin that covers up to 13% of the country’s surface area.
- The largest lake in Norway is Mjøsa at 140 square miles.
- The government of Norway is a unitary parliamentary constitutional monarchy.
- The country of Norway is divided into five regions (landsdeler).
- Drivers in Norway drive on the right side of the road.
- The country calling code for Norway is +47.
- The ISO 3166 code for Norway is NO.
- The national anthem of Norway is called “Ja, vi elsker dette landet” or “Yes, we love this country”.
- The motto of Norway is “Enige og tro inntil Dovre faller” or “United and loyal until Dovre falls”.
- Statistics from the Church of Norway show that about 70.6% of Norwegians were members in 2017.
Find More Facts About Norway