Skip to content
- Country Name: Japan
- Continent: Asia
- Capital City: Tokyo
- Primary Language: Japanese (Nihongo)
- Population: 126.8 million (2017)
- Currency: Yen – ¥ (JPY)
- GDP: $4.9 trillion (2018)
18 Japan Facts for Kids
- Japan is a country on the Asian continent.
- The primary language spoke in Japan is Japanese, which has several different dialects.
- A native or resident of Japan is called Japanese (Nihongo).
- The capital of city of Japan is Tokyo.
- In 2017, the population of Japan was estimated to be 126.8 million.
- The national currency in Japan is the Yen (JPY).
- In 2018, the World Bank estimated the GDP for Japan was $4.9 trillion.
- Japan covers 145,936 square miles.
- Japan is made up of over 6,800 islands.
- The highest point in Japan is Mount Fuji, towering over 12.300 feet.
- The largest city in Japan is Tokyo.
- The government in Japan is a Unitary parliamentary constitutional monarchy.
- The country calling code for Japan is +81.
- In Japan, cars are driven on the left side.
- Natives and inhabitants of Japan call their country Nihon or Nippon, which translates to sun origin.
- Japan was a member of the Axis and a belligerent in World War 2.
- Japan has the oldest active monarchy in the world.
- The Japanese diet consists mostly of fish, vegetables, rice and soy products.
More Facts About Japan