Skip to content
- Country Name: Colombia
- Continent: South America
- Primary Language: Spanish
- Population: 48,258,494 (2019 estimate)
- Currency: Peso (COP)
- GDP: 331.047 billion (2018, World Bank)
26 Colombia Facts for Kids
- Colombia is a country on the continent of South America.
- The official name for Colombia is the Republic of Colombia.
- A native or resident of Colombia is called a Colombian.
- The primary language spoken in Colombia is Spanish. However, English is also official in the archipelago of San Andrés, Providencia, and Santa Catalina.
- The capital of Colombia is Bogotá.
- The population of Colombia was 48,258,494 based on 2019 estimates.
- According to estimates by the United Nations in 2019, Colombia was the 29th most populated country in the world.
- The national currency of Colombia is the Peso (COP).
- In 2018, the World Bank estimated the GDP of Colombia was 331.047 billion USD.
- According to estimates by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Colombia was 31st on the list of countries with the highest GDP (PPP) in 2019.
- The country of Colombia covers 439,740 square miles.
- Colombia is the 27th largest country by square miles.
- The largest city in Colombia is Bogotá.
- Bogotá in Colombia is ranked third in the highest capital cities in the world at about 8,660ft above sea level.
- The highest point in Colombia is Pico Cristóbal Colón Mountain at 18,700 feet.
- The longest river in Colombia is the Magdalena River at 949 miles long.
- The largest lake in Colombia is Lake Tota at 21 square miles.
- Lake Tota in Colombia was once a sacred religious location for the Muisca culture.
- The government of Colombia is a Unitary presidential constitutional republic.
- The country of Colombia is divided into 32 departments.
- Drivers in Colombia drive on the right side of the road.
- The country calling code for Colombia is +57.
- The ISO 3166 code for Colombia is CO.
- The national anthem of Colombia is called the “Himno Nacional de la República de Colombia” or “National Anthem of the Republic of Colombia” in English.
- The motto of Colombia is “Libertad y Orden” or “Freedom and Order” in English.
- Colombia has an estimated population of 90% Christians.
Find More Facts About Colombia