Skip to content
Guatemala Facts for Kids
- Country Name: Guatemala
- Continent: North America
- Primary Language: Spanish
- Population: 17,263,239 (2018 estimate)
- Currency: Quetzal (GTQ)
- GDP: 78.46 billion (2018, World Bank)
27 Guatemala Facts for Kids
- Guatemala is a country on the continent of North America.
- The official name for Guatemala is the Republic of Guatemala.
- A native or resident of Guatemala is called Guatemalan.
- The primary language of Guatemala is Spanish.
- The capital city of Guatemala is Guatemala City.
- The population of Guatemala was 17,263,239 based on 2018 estimates.
- According to estimates by the United Nations in 2019, Guatemala was the 66th most populated country in the world.
- The national currency of Guatemala is the Quetzal (GTQ).
- In 2018, the World Bank estimated the GDP of Guatemala was 78.46 billion USD.
- According to estimates by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Guatemala was 75th on the list of countries with the highest GDP (PPP) in 2019.
- The country of Guatemala covers 42,042 square miles.
- Guatemala is the 108th largest country by square miles.
- The largest city in Guatemala is Guatemala City.
- There are four visible volcanoes from Guatemala City, two of which are active.
- The highest point in Guatemala is Volcán Tajumulco at 13,786 feet.
- The longest river in Guatemala is the Motagua River at 302 miles long.
- The largest lake in Guatemala is Lake Izabal, also referred to as the Golfo Dulce at 227.6 square miles.
- The government of Guatemala is a unitary presidential republic.
- The country of Guatemala is divided into 22 departments among eight regions.
- Drivers in Guatemala drive on the right side of the road.
- The country calling code for Guatemala is +502.
- The ISO 3166 code for Guatemala is GT.
- The national anthem of Guatemala is called “Himno Nacional de Guatemala” or the “National Anthem of Guatemala”.
- The motto of Guatemala is “Libre Crezca Fecundo” or “Grow Free and Fertile” in English.
- The marching song of Guatemala is called “La Granader” or “The Song of the Grenadier” in English.
- Based on results of a 2018 census, Guatemala has an ethnic population of about 56.01% Ladino and 41.66% Mayan.
- According to a 2010 census by Guatemala, 47.2% of Guatemalans believe in Christianity, 39.5% Protestantism, 12.3% atheist and 1% other.
Find More Facts About Guatemala