Skip to content
- Country Name: Russia
- Continent: Europe, Asia
- Primary Language: Russian
- Population: 144,384,244 (2020 estimate)
- Currency: Russian ruble (RUB)
- GDP: 1.658 trillion (2018, World Bank)
26 Russia Facts for Kids
- Russia is a transcontinental country, extending from Eastern Europe to Northern Asia.
- The official name for Russia is the Russian Federation.
- A native or resident of Russia is called a Russian.
- The primary language spoken in Russia is Russian.
- The capital city of Russia is Moscow.
- The population of Russia is 144,384,244 according to 2020 estimates by the Russian Federal State Statistics Service.
- According to estimates by the United Nations in 2019, Russia was the ninth most populated country in the world.
- Russia has a population of an estimated 81% Russian ethnicity.
- The national currency of Russia is the Russian ruble (RUB).
- In 2018, the World Bank estimated the GDP of Russia was 1.658 trillion USD.
- According to estimates by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Russia was sixth on the list of countries with the highest GDP (PPP) in 2019.
- The country of Russia covers 6,612,074 square miles.
- Russia is the largest country in the world.
- The largest city in Russia is Moscow.
- The highest point in Russia is Mount Elbrus at 18,510 feet.
- The longest river in Russia and Europe is the Volga River that stretches across central Russia at 2,190 miles long.
- The largest lake in Russia is Lake Baikal at 12,248 square miles.
- The government of Russia is a Federal dominant-party semi-presidential constitutional republic.
- The government of Russia controls the Crimean Peninsula in Eastern Europe, though recognized as part of Ukraine.
- Russia took control of the Crimean Peninsula after a favored vote to join Crimea to the Russian Federation.
- Russia is divided into 85 federal subjects, including Crimea.
- Drivers in Russia drive on the right side of the road.
- The country calling code for Russia is +7.
- The ISO 3166 code for Russia is RU.
- The national anthem of Russia is called “Gosudarstvennyy Gimn Rossiyskoy Federatsii” translated “State Anthem of the Russian Federation” in English.
- It’s estimated that 47.1% of the people living in Russia are Christian.
Find More Facts About Russia