- U.S. State: Wyoming
- Abbreviation: WY
- Joined the USA: July 10th, 1890 (44th State)
- Located: Western United States
- Capital City: Cheyenne, WY
- Most Populated City: Cheyenne, WY
40 Wyoming Facts for Kids
- Wyoming is a state in the United States of America.
- Wyoming is in the western region of the United States.
- Wyoming became a U.S. state on Thursday, July 10th, 1890.
- Wyoming was the 44th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Wyoming covers 97,914 square miles.
- Wyoming is the 10th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Wyoming was estimated to be 578,759 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Wyoming was the least populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Wyoming is called a Wyomingite.
- The capital city of Wyoming is Cheyenne.
- The five largest cities in Wyoming are Cheyenne, Casper, Laramie, Gillette and Rock Springs.
- The largest city in by population in Wyoming is Cheyenne.
- The largest metropolitan area in Wyoming is the Cheyenne Metro Area.
- The U.S. state of Wyoming has 23 counties.
- The most populated county in Wyoming is Laramie County with 99,500 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Wyoming is Sweetwater County with 10,426 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Wyoming is Gannett Peak at 13,809 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Wyoming is the Belle Fourche River at 3,101 feet above sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Wyoming is 13.2 inches.
- Wyoming is the 48th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Wyoming is 43.4 °F.
- Wyoming is the 46th warmest state in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Wyoming was 115 °F on August 8th, 1983.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Wyoming was -63 °F on February 9th, 1933.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Wyoming are blizzards, hail and ice storms.
- Wyoming is in one time zone, Mountain Time Zone (MT).
- The USPS abbreviation for Wyoming is WY.
- Wyoming is also known as the Equality State, the Cowboy State and Big Wyoming.
- The motto of the U.S. state of Wyoming is “Equal Rights”.
- The official state insect of Wyoming is the Sheridan’s green hairstreak butterfly (Callophrys sheridanii).
- The official state fish of Wyoming is the cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkia).
- The official state bird of Wyoming is western meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta).
- The official state reptile of Wyoming is the horned toad (Phrynosoma).
- The official state mammal of Wyoming is the American bison (Bison bison).
- The official state grass of Wyoming is the western wheatgrass (Pascopyrum).
- The official state flower of Wyoming is the Indian paintbrush (Castilleja).
- The official state tree of Wyoming is the plains cottonwood (Populus deltoides).
- The official state dinosaur of Wyoming is the triceratops (Triceratops horridus).
- The official state gemstone of Wyoming is jade.
- The official state sport of Wyoming is rodeo.
Pictures of Wyoming
A picture of the flag for the U.S. state of Wyoming.
A picture of a mountain range in the US state of Wyoming.
A picture of a sign that says welcome to Wyoming.
Additional Resources on Wyoming
- About Wyoming – Find more information about Wyoming on the Info Please website.
- The History of Wyoming – Learn about the history of the U.S. state of Wyoming on the Ducksters website.
- Facts About Wyoming – Discover some awesome facts about Wyoming on the Wyoming State Government website.
- Wyoming – Wikipedia – Read the Wyoming entry on the Wikipedia website to learn more about it.