- U.S. State: Colorado
- Abbreviation: CO
- Joined the USA: August 1st, 1876 (38th State)
- Located: Western United States
- Capital City: Denver, CO
- Most Populated City: Denver, CO
30 Colorado Facts for School
- Colorado is a state in the United States of America.
- Colorado is in the is the western region of the United States.
- Colorado became a U.S. state on Tuesday, August 1st, 1876.
- Colorado was the 38th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Colorado covers 104,094 square miles.
- Colorado is the 8th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Colorado was estimated to be 5,759,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Colorado was the 21st most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Colorado is called a Coloradoan.
- The capital city of Colorado is Denver.
- The three most populated cities in Colorado are Denver, Colorado Springs and Aurora.
- The largest city by population in Colorado is Denver.
- The largest metropolitan area in Colorado is the Denver-Aurora-Lakewood area.
- The U.S. state of Colorado has 64 counties.
- The most populated county in Colorado is El Paso County with 720,403 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Colorado is Las Animas County with 4,773.27 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Colorado is Mount Elbert with a summit at 14,440 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Colorado is the Arikaree River at 3,317 feet above sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Colorado is 16.98 inches.
- Colorado is the 43rd wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in the Colorado is 46.26 °F.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Colorado was 115 °F on July 20th, 2019.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Colorado was -61 °F on February 1st, 1985.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Colorado are blizzards, flash floods, hail, ice storms, lightning, thunderstorms, tornadoes and wildfires.
- Colorado is in one time zone, Mountain Time Zone (MT).
- The USPS abbreviation for Colorado is CO.
- The official state flower of Colorado is the Rocky Mountain columbine.
- The official state tree of Colorado is the Colorado blue spruce.
- The official state bird of Colorado is the lark bunting.
- The official state gemstone of Colorado is the aquamarine.
Pictures of Colorado
A picture of the flag for the U.S. state of Colorado.
A picture of Denver, the capital city of Colorado.
A picture of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado.
Additional Resources on Colorado
- About Colorado – Discover more about the U.S. state of Colorado on the Awesome America website.
- History of Colorado – Learn about the history of Colorado on their official website.
- Facts About Colorado – Find more facts about Colorado on the Colorado Christian University website.
- Colorado – Britannica – Read this Britannica article on the U.S. state of Colorado to learn more about it.