- U.S. State: Florida
- Abbreviation: FL
- Joined the USA: March 3rd, 1845 (27th State)
- Located: Southeastern United States
- Capital City: Tallahassee, FL
- Most Populated City: Jacksonville, FL
32 Florida Facts for Kids
- Florida is a state in the United States of America.
- Florida is in the southeastern region of the United States.
- Florida became a U.S. state on Monday, March 3rd, 1845.
- Florida was the 27th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Florida covers 65,757 square miles.
- Florida is the 22nd largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Florida was estimated to be 21,480,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Florida was the 3rd most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Florida is called a Floridian.
- The capital city of Florida is Tallahassee.
- The six most populated cities in Florida are Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, St. Petersburg and Hialeah.
- The largest city by population in Florida is Jacksonville.
- The largest metropolitan area in Florida is the Greater Miami Area.
- The U.S. state of Florida has 67 counties.
- The most populated county in Florida is Miami-Dade County with 2,717,000 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Florida is Palm Beach County with 2,034 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Florida is Britton Hill at 345 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Florida is the coastline of the Atlantic Ocean which is at sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Florida is 54.73 inches.
- Florida is the 4th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in the Florida is 71 °F.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Florida was -2 °F on February 13th, 1889.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Florida are hurricanes, lightning, thunderstorms and wildfires.
- Florida is the state most likely to be affected by an Atlantic hurricane in the United States.
- Florida is in two time zones, Central Time Zone (CT) and Eastern Time Zone (ET).
- The USPS abbreviation for Florida is FL.
- The nickname for the U.S. state of Florida is the “sunshine state”.
- The official state animal of Florida is the Florida panther (P. c. couguar).
- The official state bird of Florida is the mockingbird (Mimidae).
- The official state freshwater fish of Florida is the largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides).
- The official state flower of Florida is the orange blossom (Citrus sinensis).
- Florida is home to the most famous entertainment complex in the world, Walt Disney World Resort.
Pictures of Florida
A picture of the flag of the U.S. state of Florida.
A picture of Tallahassee, FL the state capital of Florida.
A picture of Jacksonville, largest city in the U.S. state of Florida.
Additional Resources on Florida
- About Florida – Learn more about the U.S. state of Florida on the History Channel website.
- History of Florida – Discover the history of Florida on the My Florida website.
- Facts About Florida – Find more facts and stats about Florida on the Visit Florida website.
- Florida – Britannica – Read the Britannica entry on Florida, USA.