- U.S. State: Kentucky
- Abbreviation: KY
- Joined the USA: June 1st, 1792 (15th State)
- Located: Southeastern United States
- Capital City: Frankfort, KY
- Most Populated City: Louisville, KY
33 Kentucky Facts for Kids
- Kentucky is a state in the United States of America.
- Kentucky became a U.S. State on Friday, June 1st, 1792.
- Kentucky was the 15th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Kentucky covers 40,408 square miles.
- Kentucky is the 37th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Kentucky was estimated to be 4,468,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Kentucky was the 26th most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Kentucky is called a Kentuckian.
- The capital city of Kentucky is Frankfort.
- The two most populated cities in Kentucky are Louisville and Lexington.
- The largest city by population in Kentucky is Louisville.
- The largest metropolitan area in Kentucky is Kentuckiana (Louisville metropolitan area).
- The U.S. state of Kentucky has 120 counties.
- The most populated county in Kentucky is Jefferson County with 766,757 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Kentucky is Pike County with 788 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Kentucky is Black Mountain at 4,145 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Kentucky is the Mississippi River at Kentucky Bend at 250 feet above sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Kentucky is 46.2 inches.
- Kentucky is the 15th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Kentucky is 55.6 °F.
- Kentucky is the 16th warmest state in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Kentucky was 114 °F on July 28th, 1930.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Kentucky was -37 °F on January 19th, 1994.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Kentucky are earthquakes, flash floods, heat waves and thunderstorms.
- Kentucky is in two time zones, Central Time Zone (CT) and Eastern Time Zone (ET).
- The USPS abbreviation for Kentucky is KY.
- Kentucky is also known as the Bluegrass State.
- The motto for the U.S. state of Kentucky is ”United we stand, divided we fall”.
- The official state fish of Kentucky is the Kentucky spotted bass (Micropterus punctulatus).
- The official state bird of Kentucky is the cardinal (Cardinalidae).
- The official state flower of Kentucky is the goldenrod (Solidago).
- The official state tree of Kentucky is the tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera).
- The official state gemstone of Kentucky is the freshwater pearl.
Pictures of Kentucky
A picture of the U.S. state flag of Kentucky, USA.
A picture of Frankfort, the capital city of Kentucky, USA.
A picture of Louisville, the most populated city in Kentucky, USA.
Additional Resources on Kentucky
- About Kentucky – Learn about the U.S. state of Kentucky on the Info Please website.
- History of Kentucky – Discover the history of the U.S. state of Kentucky on the Kentucky State Government website.
- Facts About Kentucky – Find more facts about the U.S. state of Kentucky on the Kentucky Tourism website.
- Kentucky – Britannica – Read the Britannica article on the U.S. state of Kentucky to learn more about it.