- U.S. State: Maryland
- Abbreviation: MD
- Joined the USA: April 28th, 1788 (7th State)
- Located: Northeastern United States
- Capital City: Annapolis, MD
- Most Populated City: Baltimore, MD
31 Maryland Facts for Kids
- Maryland is a state in the United States of America.
- Maryland became a U.S. State on Monday, April 28, 1788.
- Maryland was the 7th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Maryland covers 12,407 square miles.
- Maryland is the 42nd largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Maryland was estimated to be 6,046,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Maryland was the 19th most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Maryland is called a Marylander.
- The capital city of Maryland is Annapolis.
- The five most populated cities in Maryland are Baltimore, Frederick, Rockville, Gaithersburg and Bowie.
- The largest city by population in Maryland is Baltimore.
- The largest metropolitan area in Maryland is the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area.
- The U.S. state of Maryland has 24 counties.
- The most populated county in Maryland is Montgomery County with 1,051,000 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Maryland is Worcester County with 695 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Maryland is Backbone Mountain with a summit at 3,360 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Maryland is the shoreline of the Atlantic Ocean at sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Maryland is 42.7 inches.
- Maryland is the 24th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Maryland is 54.6 °F.
- Maryland is the 20th warmest state in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Maryland was 109 °F on July 10th, 1936.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Maryland was -40 °F on January 13, 1912.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Maryland are heat waves, hurricanes, ice storms and nor’easters.
- Maryland is in one time zone, Eastern Time Zone (ET).
- The USPS abbreviation for Maryland is MD.
- Maryland is also known as the Free State and the Old Line State.
- The official state bird of Maryland is the Baltimore oriole (Icterus galbula).
- The official state dinosaur of Maryland is the Astrodon (Astrodon johnstoni).
- The official state flower of Maryland is the black-eyed susan (Rudbeckia hirta).
- The official state tree of Maryland is the White oak (Quercus alba).
Pictures of Maryland
A picture of the U.S. state flag of Maryland, USA.
A picture of Annapolis, the capital city of Maryland, USA.
A picture of Baltimore, the most populated city in Maryland, USA.
Additional Resources on Maryland
- About Maryland – Learn about the U.S. state of Maryland on the Visit Maryland website.
- History of Maryland – Discover the history of the U.S. state of Maryland on the History Channel website.
- Facts About Maryland – Find more facts about the U.S. state of Maryland on the Maryland State Government website.
- Maryland – Wikipedia – Read the Wikipedia article on the U.S. state of Maryland to learn more about it.