- U.S. State: Idaho
- Abbreviation: ID
- Joined the USA: July 3rd, 1890 (43rd State)
- Located: Western United States
- Capital City: Boise, ID
- Most Populated City: Boise, ID
31 Idaho Facts for Kids
- Idaho is a state in the United States of America.
- Idaho is in the western region of the United States.
- Idaho became a U.S. state on Thursday, July 3rd, 1890.
- Idaho was the 43rd state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Idaho covers 83,569 square miles.
- Idaho is the 14th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Idaho was estimated to be 1,787,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Idaho was the 39th most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Idaho is called an Idahoan.
- The capital city of Idaho is Boise.
- The three most populated cities in Idaho are Boise, Nampa and Meridian.
- The largest city by population in Idaho is Boise.
- The largest metropolitan area in Idaho is the Boise metropolitan area.
- The U.S. state of Idaho has 44 counties.
- The most populated county in Idaho is Ada County with 481,587 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Idaho is Idaho County with 8,485 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Idaho is Borah Peak Mountain at 12,662 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Idaho is the confluence of Snake and Clearwater River at 713 feet above sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Idaho is 16.91 inches
- Idaho is the 44th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in the Idaho is 46 °F.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Idaho was -60 °F on January 18th, 1943.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Idaho are blizzards and wildfires.
- Idaho is in two time zones, Mountain Time Zone (MT) and Pacific Time Zone (PT).
- The USPS abbreviation for Idaho is ID.
- The official state flower for Idaho is the syringa (lilac).
- The official state tree for Idaho is the white pine (Pinus strobus).
- The official state bird for Idaho is the mountain bluebird (Sialia currucoides).
- The official state fish for Idaho is the cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii).
- The official state gemstone for Idaho is the star garnet.
- The official state fossil for Idaho is the Hagerman horse fossil (Equus simplicidens).
Pictures of Idaho
A picture of the flag of the U.S. state of Idaho.
A picture of Boise, ID the state capital of Idaho.
A picture of the Shoshone Falls waterfall in Idaho.
Additional Resources on Idaho
- About Idaho – Learn more about the U.S. state of Idaho on the Visit Idaho website.
- History of Idaho – Discover the history of Idaho on the History Channel website.
- Facts About Idaho – Find more facts and stats about Idaho on the Idaho State Government website.
- Idaho – Wikipedia – Read the Wikipedia entry on Idaho, USA.