- U.S. State: Nevada
- Abbreviation: NV
- Joined the USA: October 31st, 1864 (36th State)
- Located: Western United States
- Capital City: Carson City, NV
- Most Populated City: Las Vegas, NV
36 Nevada Facts for Kids
- Nevada is a state in the United States of America.
- Nevada became a U.S. State on Monday, October 31st, 1864.
- Nevada was the 36th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Nevada covers 110,577 square miles.
- Nevada is the 7th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Nevada was estimated to be 3,080,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Nevada was the 32nd most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Nevada is called a Nevadan.
- The capital city of Nevada is Carson City.
- The five most populated cities in Nevada are Las Vegas, Henderson, Reno, North Las Vegas and Sparks.
- The largest city by population in Nevada is Las Vegas.
- The largest metropolitan area in Nevada is the Las Vegas Valley.
- The U.S. state of Nevada has 16 counties.
- The most populated county in Nevada is Clark County with 2,266,715 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Nevada is Nye County with 18,147 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Nevada is Boundary Peak at 13,147 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Nevada is the Colorado River at 481 feet above sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Nevada is 9.4 inches.
- Nevada is the 50th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Nevada is 57.3 °F.
- Nevada is the 15th warmest state in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Nevada was 125 °F on June 29th, 1994.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Nevada was -50 °F on January 8, 1937.
- A couple natural disasters that can affect Nevada are heat waves and wildfires.
- Nevada is in two time zones, Mountain Time Zone (MT) and Pacific Time Zone (PT).
- The USPS abbreviation for Nevada is NV.
- Nevada is also known as the Silver State.
- The motto of the U.S. state of Nevada is “All for One Country”.
- Nevada is most well-known for its luxury hotels and casinos.
- The famous military installation known as Area 51 is located in Nevada.
- The official state fish of Nevada is the lahontan cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii henshawi).
- The official state bird of Nevada is the mountain bluebird (Sialia).
- The official state animal of Nevada is the desert bighorn sheep (Ovis canadensis nelson).
- The official state reptile of Nevada is the desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii).
- The official state flower of Nevada is the sagebrush (Artemisia tridentate).
- The official state trees of Nevada are the single-leaf pinon (Pinus monophyla) and the bristlecone pine (Balfourianae).
Pictures of Nevada
A picture of the flag of the U.S. state of Nevada.
A picture of Carson City, the capital city of Nevada.
A picture of Las Vegas, the largest city in Nevada.
Additional Resources on Nevada
- About Nevada – Discover more about the U.S. state of Nevada on the National Geographic Kids website.
- History of Nevada – Learn about the history of Nevada on the Nevada State Government website.
- Facts About Nevada – Find more facts about Nevada on the National Geographic Kids website.
- Nevada – Wikipedia – Read this detailed article about the U.S. state of Nevada on the Wikipedia website.