- U.S. State: Maine
- Abbreviation: ME
- Joined the USA: March 15th, 1820 (23rd State)
- Located: Northeastern United States
- Capital City: Augusta, ME
- Most Populated City: Portland, ME
34 Maine Facts for Kids
- Maine is a state in the United States of America.
- Maine became a U.S. State on Wednesday, March 15th, 1820.
- Maine was the 23rd state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Maine covers 35,385 square miles.
- Maine is the 39th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Maine was estimated to be 1,344,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Maine was the 42nd most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Maine is called a Mainer or a Down Easter.
- The capital city of Maine is Augusta.
- The three most populated cities in Maine are Portland, Lewiston and Bangor.
- The largest city by population in Maine is Portland.
- The largest metropolitan area in Maine is the Greater Portland metropolitan area.
- The U.S. state of Maine has 16 counties.
- The most populated county in Maine is Cumberland County with 295,003 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Maine is Aroostook County with 6,829 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Maine is Mount Katahdin at 5,270 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Maine is the shoreline of the Atlantic Ocean at sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Maine is 45.4 inches.
- Maine is the 17th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Maine is 43 °F.
- Maine is the 47th warmest state in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Maine was 105 °F on July 10th, 1911.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Maine was -50 °F on January 16th, 2009.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Maine are hurricanes, ice storms and nor’easters.
- Maine is in one time zone, Eastern Time Zone (ET).
- The USPS abbreviation for Maine is ME.
- The coastline and off the coast of Maine is the largest source of American lobster (Maine Lobster).
- The official state flower of Maine is the pinecone of the white pine tree.
- The official state tree of Maine is the white pine tree (Pinus strobus).
- The official state insect of Maine is the honeybee (Apis).
- The official state fish of Maine is the landlocked salmon.
- The official state bird of Maine is the chickadee (Poecile).
- The official state animal of Maine is the moose (Alces alces).
- The official state fossil of Maine is the pertica quadrifaria.
Pictures of Maine
A picture of the U.S. state flag of Maine, USA.
A picture of Maine, the capital city of Maine, USA.
A picture of Portland, the most populated city in Maine, USA.
Additional Resources on Maine
- About Maine – Learn about the U.S. state of Maine on the National Geographic Kids website.
- History of Maine – Discover the history of the U.S. state of Maine on the Maine State Government website.
- Facts About Maine – Find more facts about the U.S. state of Maine on the Visit Maine website.
- Maine – Britannica – Read the Britannica article on the U.S. state of Maine to learn more about it.