- U.S. State: Kansas
- Abbreviation: KS
- Joined the USA: January 29th, 1861 (34th State)
- Located: Midwestern United States
- Capital City: Topeka, KS
- Most Populated City: Wichita, KS
31 Kansas Facts for Kids
- Kansas is a state in the United States of America.
- Kansas became a U.S. State on Tuesday, January 29th, 1861.
- Kansas was the 34th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Kansas covers 82,278 square miles.
- Kansas is the 15th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Kansas was estimated to be 2,913,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Kansas was the 35th most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Kansas is called a Kansan.
- The capital city of Kansas is Topeka.
- The five most populated cities in Kansas are Wichita, Overland Park, Kansas City, Topeka and Olathe.
- The largest city by population in Kansas is Wichita.
- The largest metropolitan area in Kansas is the Kansas City metropolitan area.
- The U.S. state of Kansas has 105 counties.
- The most populated county in Kansas is Johnson County with 602,401 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Kansas is Butler County with 1,428 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Kansas is Mount Sunflower at 4,041 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Kansas is the Verdigris River near the Oklahoma border at 679 feet above sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Kansas is 32.4 inches.
- Kansas is the 36th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Kansas is 54.6 °F.
- Kansas is the 19th warmest state in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Kansas was 121 °F on July 24th, 1936.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Kansas was -40 °F on February 13th, 1905.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Kansas are blizzards, hail, heat waves, ice storms, lightning, river flooding, thunderstorms and tornadoes.
- Kansas is in two time zones, Mountain Time Zone (MT) and Central Time Zone (CT).
- The USPS abbreviation for Kansas is KS.
- Kansas is also known as the Jayhawk State and the Sunflower State.
- The motto for the U.S. state of Kansas is “Ad astra per aspera”, (To the stars through difficulties).
- The official state flower of Kansas is the sunflower (Helianthus).
- The official state tree of Kansas is the cottonwood (Populus sect. Aigeiros).
- The official sate bird of Kansas is the western meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta).
Pictures of Kansas
A picture of the U.S. state flag of Kansas, USA.
A picture of Topeka, the capital city of Kansas, USA.
A picture of Wichita, the most populated city in Kansas, USA.
Additional Resources on Kansas
- About Kansas – Learn about the U.S. state of Kansas on the History Channel website.
- History of Kansas – Discover the history of the U.S. state of Kansas on the Kansas Historical Society website.
- Facts About Kansas – Find more facts about the U.S. state of Kansas on the National Geographic Kids website.
- Kansas – Wikipedia – Read the Wikipedia article on the U.S. state of Kansas to learn more about it.