- U.S. State: Connecticut
- Abbreviation: CT
- Joined the USA: January 9th, 1788 (5th State)
- Located: Northeastern United States
- Capital City: Hartford, CT
- Most Populated City: Bridgeport, CT
30 Connecticut Facts for Kids
- Connecticut is a state in the United States of America.
- Connecticut is in the northeastern region of the United States.
- Connecticut became a U.S. state on Wednesday, January 9th, 1788.
- Connecticut was the 5th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Connecticut covers 5,567 square miles.
- Connecticut is the 48th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Connecticut was estimated to be 3,565,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Connecticut was the 29th most populated state in the United States
- A person who is from or lives in Connecticut is called a Connecticuter.
- The capital city of Connecticut is Hartford.
- The five most populated cities in Connecticut are Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford, Stamford and Waterbury.
- The largest city by population in Connecticut is Bridgeport.
- The largest metropolitan area in Connecticut is the Greater New York Area.
- The U.S. state of Connecticut has 8 counties.
- The most populated county in Connecticut is Fairfield County with 943,332 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Connecticut is Litchfield County with 920 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Connecticut is Mount Frissell with a summit 2,379 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Connecticut is the Long Island Sound at sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Connecticut is 50.07 inches
- Connecticut is the 8th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in the Connecticut is 48 °F.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Connecticut was -37 °F on February 16th, 1943.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Connecticut are heat waves, hurricanes, ice storms and blizzards.
- Connecticut is in one time zone, Eastern Time Zone (ET).
- The USPS abbreviation for Connecticut is CT.
- The official state bird of Connecticut is the American robin (Turdus migratorius).
- The official state animal of Connecticut is the sperm whale (Physeter macrocephalus).
- The official state flower of Connecticut is the mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia).
- The official state tree of Connecticut is the white oak (Quercus alba).
- The official state fossil of Connecticut is the Eubrontes (Eubrontes Giganteus).
Pictures of Connecticut
A picture of the flag of the U.S. state of Connecticut.
A picture of Hartford, CT the state capital of Connecticut.
A picture of the city of New Haven, Connecticut.
Additional Resources on Connecticut
- About Connecticut – Learn more about the U.S. state of Connecticut on the CT Visit website.
- History of Connecticut – Discover the history of Connecticut on the Wikipedia website.
- Connecticut Stats and Facts – Find more facts and stats about Connecticut on the Info Please website.
- Connecticut – Britannica – Read the Britannica entry on Connecticut, USA.