- U.S. State: Indiana
- Abbreviation: IN
- Joined the USA: December 11th, 1816 (19th State)
- Located: Midwestern United States
- Capital City: Indianapolis, IN
- Most Populated City: Indianapolis, IN
30 Indiana Facts for Kids
- Indiana is a state in the United States of America.
- Indiana is in the midwestern region of the United States.
- Indiana became a U.S. state on Wednesday, December 11th, 1816.
- Indiana was the 19th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Indiana covers 36,418 square miles.
- Indiana is the 38th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Indiana was estimated to be 6,732,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Indiana was the 17th most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Indiana is called a Hoosier.
- The capital city of Indiana is Indianapolis.
- The five most populated cities in Indiana are Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Evansville, South Bend and Carmel.
- The largest city by population in Indiana is Indianapolis.
- The largest metropolitan area in Indiana is the Greater Indianapolis area.
- The U.S. state of Indiana has 92 counties.
- The most populated county in Indiana is Marion County with 964,582 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Indiana is Allen County with 657 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Indiana is Hoosier Hill at 1,257 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Indiana is the confluence of Ohio and Wabash River at 320 feet above sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Indiana is 41.86 inches.
- Indiana is the 27th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Indiana is 51.8 °F.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Indiana was 116 °F on July 14th, 1936
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Indiana was -36 °F on January 19th, 1994.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Indiana are blizzards, heat waves, ice storms and thunderstorms.
- Indiana is in two time zones, Central Time Zone (CT) and Eastern Time Zone (ET).
- The USPS abbreviation for Indiana is IN.
- The official state flower of Indiana is the peony (Paeonia officinalis).
- The official state tree of Indiana is the tulip tree (Liriodendron tulipifera).
- The official state insect of Indiana is the firefly (Lampyridae).
- The official state bird of Indiana is the cardinal (Cardinalidae).
Pictures of Indiana
A picture of the flag for the U.S. state of Indiana.
A picture of Indianapolis, the capital city of Indiana.
A picture of Fort Wayne, the second most populated city in Indiana.
Additional Resources on Indiana
- About Indiana – Learn more about the U.S. state of Indiana on the History Channel website.
- History of Indiana – Discover the history of Indiana on the Conner Prairie website.
- Facts About Indiana – Find more facts about Indiana on the Movoto website.
- Indiana – Wikipedia – Review the Britannica entry on the U.S. state of Indiana to learn more about it.