- U.S. State: Mississippi
- Abbreviation: MS
- Joined the USA: December 10th, 1817 (20th State)
- Located: Southeastern United Statess
- Capital City: Jackson, MS
- Most Populated City: Jackson, MS
32 Mississippi Facts for Kids
- Mississippi is a state in the United States of America.
- Mississippi became a U.S. State on Wednesday, December 10th, 1817.
- Mississippi was the 20th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Mississippi covers 48,430 square miles.
- Mississippi is the 32nd largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Mississippi was estimated to be 2,976,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Mississippi was the 34th most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Mississippi is called a Mississippian.
- The capital city of Mississippi is Jackson.
- The two most populated cities in Mississippi are Jackson and Gulfport.
- The largest city by population in Mississippi is Jackson.
- The largest metropolitan area in Mississippi is the Great Jackson area.
- The U.S. state of Mississippi has 82 counties.
- The most populated county in Mississippi is Hinds County with 231,840 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Mississippi is Yazoo County with 920 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Mississippi is Woodall Mountain at 807 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Mississippi is the shoreline of the Gulf of Mexico at sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Mississippi is 56.4 inches.
- Mississippi is the 2nd wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Mississippi is 63.5 °F.
- Mississippi is the 6th warmest state in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Mississippi was 115 °F on July 29th, 1930.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Mississippi was -19 °F on January 30th, 1966.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Mississippi are heat waves, hurricanes and thunderstorms.
- Mississippi is in one time zone, Central Time Zone (CT).
- The USPS abbreviation for Mississippi is MS.
- Mississippi is also known as the Magnolia State.
- The motto of the U.S. state of Mississippi in English is “By valor and arms”.
- The official state insect of Mississippi is the western honeybee (Apis mellifera).
- The official state fish of Mississippi is the largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides).
- The official state bird of Mississippi is the northern mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos).
- The official state tree of Mississippi is the southern magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora).
Pictures of Mississippi
A picture of Jackson, the capital city of Mississippi.
A picture of the bridge on the Natchez Trace Parkway.
A picture of a sign on U.S. Highway 61 for Mississippi.
Additional Resources on Mississippi
- About Mississippi – Discover more about the U.S. state of Mississippi on the History Channel website.
- History of Mississippi – Learn about the history of Mississippi on the Mississippi State Government website.
- Facts About Mississippi – Find more facts about Mississippi on the Walthall County website.
- Mississippi – Wikipedia – Read this detailed article about the U.S. state of Mississippi on the Wikipedia website.