- U.S. State: Iowa
- Abbreviation: IA
- Joined the USA: December 27th, 1846 (29th State)
- Located: Midwestern United States
- Capital City: Des Moines, IA
- Most Populated City: Des Moines, IA
31 Iowa Facts for Kids
- Iowa is a state in the United States of America.
- Iowa is in the midwestern region of the United States.
- Iowa became a U.S. state on Sunday, December 27th, 1846.
- Iowa was the 29th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Iowa covers 56,272 square miles.
- Iowa is the 26th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Iowa was estimated to be 3,155,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Iowa was the 31st most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Iowa is called an Iowan.
- The capital city of Iowa is Des Moines.
- The four most populated cities in Iowa are Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Davenport and Sioux City.
- The largest city by population in Iowa is Des Moines.
- The largest metropolitan area in Iowa is the Des Moines metropolitan area.
- The U.S. state of Iowa has 99 counties.
- The most populated county in Iowa is Polk County with 490,161 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Iowa is Kossuth County with 973 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Iowa is Hawkeye Point at 1,671 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Iowa is the confluence of Mississippi and Des Moines River at 480′ above sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Iowa is 34.5 inches.
- Iowa is the 33rd wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Iowa is 48.1 °F.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Iowa was 118 °F on July 20th, 1934.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Iowa was -47 °F on February 3rd, 1996.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Iowa are blizzards, hail, heat waves, ice storms, river flooding, thunderstorms and tornadoes.
- Iowa is in one time zone, Central Time Zone (CT).
- Iowa is known as the “Hawkeye State”.
- The motto of the U.S. state of Iowa is “Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain”.
- The USPS abbreviation for Iowa is IA.
- The official state bird of Iowa is the eastern goldfinch (Spinus tristis).
- The official state flower of Iowa is the wild rose (Rosa acicularis).
- The official state tree of Iowa is the oak tree (Quercus).
Pictures of Iowa
A picture of the flag for the U.S. state of Iowa.
A picture of Des Moines, the capital city of Iowa.
A picture of Cedar Rapids, the second most populated city in Iowa.
Additional Resources on Iowa
- About Iowa – Learn more about the U.S. state of Iowa on the 50 States website.
- History of Iowa – Discover the history of Iowa on the Iowa State Government website.
- Facts About Iowa – Find more facts about Iowa on the Info Please website.
- Iowa – Britannica – Read the Britannica entry on the U.S. state of Iowa to learn more about it.