- U.S. State: Nebraska
- Abbreviation: NE
- Joined the USA: March 1st, 1867 (37th State)
- Located: Midwestern United States
- Capital City: Lincoln, NE
- Most Populated City: Omaha, NE
36 Nebraska Facts for School
- Nebraska is a state in the United States of America.
- Nebraska became a U.S. State on Friday, March 1st, 1867.
- Nebraska was the 37th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Nebraska covers 77,358 square miles.
- Nebraska is the 16th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Nebraska was estimated to be 1,934,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Nebraska was the 37th most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Nebraska is called a Nebraskan.
- The capital city of Nebraska is Lincoln.
- The two most populated cities in Nebraska are Omaha and Lincoln.
- The largest city by population in Nebraska is Omaha.
- The largest metropolitan area in Nebraska is the Omaha-Council Bluffs.
- The U.S. state of Nebraska has 93 counties.
- The most populated county in Nebraska is Douglas County with 571,327 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Nebraska is Cherry County with 5,961 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Nebraska is Constable Mountain at 5,424 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Nebraska is the Missouri River at 840 feet above sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Nebraska is 26.6 inches.
- Nebraska is the 39th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Nebraska is 49.88 °F.
- Nebraska is the 30th warmest state in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Nebraska was 118 °F on July 24th, 1936.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Nebraska was -47 °F on December 22nd, 1989.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Nebraska are blizzards, hail, ice storms, river flooding, thunderstorms and tornadoes.
- Nebraska is in two time zones, Mountain Time Zone (MT) and Central Time Zone (CT).
- The USPS abbreviation for Nebraska is NE.
- The motto of the U.S. state of Nebraska is “Equality before the law”.
- Nebraska is also known as the Cornhusker State.
- The anthem of the U.S. state of Nebraska is Beautiful Nebraska.
- The official state grass of Nebraska is the little bluestem (Schizachyrium scoparium).
- The official state flower of Nebraska is the goldenrod (Solidago).
- The official state tree of Nebraska is the cottonwood (Populus).
- The official state insect of Nebraska is the honeybee (Apis).
- The official state fish of Nebraska is the channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus).
- The official state bird of Nebraska is the western meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta).
- The official state animal of Nebraska is the whitetail deer (Odocoileus virginianus).
Pictures of Nebraska
A picture of the flag of the U.S. state of Nebraska.
A picture of Lincoln, the capital city of Nebraska.
A picture of Omaha, the largest city in Nebraska.
Additional Resources on Nebraska
- About Nebraska – Discover more about the U.S. state of Nebraska on the Awesome America website.
- History of Nebraska – Learn about the history of Nebraska on the Ducksters website.
- Facts About Nebraska – Find more facts about Nebraska on the Mental Floss website.
- Nebraska – Britannica – Read this detailed article about the U.S. state of Nebraska on the Britannica website.