- U.S. State: Ohio
- Abbreviation: OH
- Joined the USA: March 1st, 1803
- Located: Midwestern United States
- Capital City: Columbus, OH
- Most Populated City: Columbus, OH
37 Ohio Facts for Kids
- Ohio is a state in the United States of America.
- Ohio is in the midwestern region of the United States.
- Ohio became a U.S. state on Tuesday, March 1st, 1803.
- Ohio was the 17th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Ohio covers 44,825 square miles.
- Ohio is the 34th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Ohio was estimated to be 11,690,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Ohio was the 7th most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Ohio is called an Ohioan or a Buckeye.
- The capital city of Ohio is Columbus.
- The five most populated cities in Ohio are Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo and Akron.
- The largest city by population in Ohio is Columbus.
- The largest metropolitan areas in Ohio are the Greater Cincinnati area and the Greater Columbus area.
- The U.S. state of Ohio has 88 counties.
- The most populated county in Ohio is Franklin County with 1,317,000 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Ohio is Ashtabula County with 702 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Ohio is Campbell Hill at 1,549 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Ohio is the Ohio River at 455 feet above sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Ohio is 39.2 inches.
- Ohio is the 28th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Ohio is 50.8 °F.
- Ohio is the 28th warmest state in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Ohio was 113 °F on July 21st, 1934.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Ohio was -39 °F on February 10th, 1899.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Ohio are heat waves, ice storm, lightning and thunderstorms.
- Ohio is in one time zone, Eastern Time Zone (ET).
- The USPS abbreviation for Ohio is OH.
- Ohio is also known as the Buckeye State, the Birthplace of Aviation and the Heart of It All.
- The motto of the U.S. state of Ohio is “With God, all things are possible”.
- Ohio is named after the Ohio River, which is Seneca for “good river”.
- Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon was born in Wapakoneta, Ohio.
- Steven Spielberg, a famous movie director and producer was born in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- The official state insect of Ohio is the seven-spot ladybug (Coccinella septempunctata).
- The official state bird of Ohio is the cardinal (Cardinalidae).
- The official state frog of Ohio is the American bullfrog (Lithobates catesbeianus).
- The official state reptile of Ohio is the black racer (Coluber constrictor).
- The official state tree of Ohio is the Ohio buckeye (Aesculus glabra).
Pictures of Ohio
A picture of the flag of the U.S. state of Ohio.
A picture of Columbus, capital city of Ohio.
A picture of Cincinnati, a large city in Ohio.
Additional Resources on Ohio
- About Ohio – Discover more about Ohio on the Ohio State Government website.
- History of Ohio – Learn about the history of the U.S. state of Ohio on the Ohio History Central website.
- Facts About Ohio – Find more cool facts about Ohio on the 50 States website.
- Ohio – Wikipedia – Visit the Wikipedia website and view the article on the U.S. state of Ohio.