- U.S. State: Pennsylvania
- Abbreviation: PA
- Joined the USA: December 12th, 1787 (2nd State)
- Located: Northeastern United States
- Capital City: Harrisburg, PA
- Most Populated City: Philadelphia, PA
32 Pennsylvania Facts for Kids
- Pennsylvania is a state in the United States of America.
- Pennsylvania is in the northeastern region of the United States.
- Pennsylvania became a U.S. state on Wednesday, December 12th, 1787.
- Pennsylvania was the 2nd state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Pennsylvania covers 46,055 square miles.
- Pennsylvania is the 33rd largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Pennsylvania was estimated to be 12,800,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Pennsylvania was the 5th most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Pennsylvania is called a Pennsylvanian.
- The capital city of Pennsylvania is Harrisburg.
- The three largest cities in Pennsylvania are Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Allentown.
- The largest city in by population in Pennsylvania is Philadelphia.
- The largest metropolitan area in Pennsylvania is Delaware Valley.
- The U.S. state of Pennsylvania has 67 counties.
- The most populated county in Pennsylvania is Philadelphia County with 1,584,000 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Pennsylvania is Lycoming County with 1,244 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Pennsylvania is Mount Davis at 3,213 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Pennsylvania is the Delaware River at sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Pennsylvania is 42.7 inches.
- Pennsylvania is the 22nd wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Pennsylvania is 49.8 °F.
- Pennsylvania is the 31st warmest state in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Pennsylvania was 111 °F on July 10th, 1936.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Pennsylvania was -42 °F on January 5th, 1904.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Pennsylvania are heat waves, hurricanes, ice storms, lightning and nor’easters.
- Pennsylvania is in one time zone, Eastern Time Zone (ET).
- The USPS abbreviation for Pennsylvania is PA.
- Pennsylvania is also known as the Keystone State and the Quaker State.
- The motto for the U.S. state of Pennsylvania is “Virtue, Liberty and Independence”.
- The official state flower of Pennsylvania is the mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia).
- The official state tree of Pennsylvania is the hemlock (Conium maculatum).
- The official state bird of Pennsylvania is the ruffed goose (Bonasa umbellus).
Pictures of Pennsylvania
A picture of the flag of the U.S. state of Pennsylvania.
A picture of Harrisburg, the capital city of Pennsylvania.
A picture of Portland, the most populated city in Pennsylvania.
Additional Resources on Pennsylvania
- About Pennsylvania – Discover more about Pennsylvania, United States on the National Geographic Kids website.
- History of Pennsylvania – Learn about the history of the U.S. state of Pennsylvania on the Info Please website.
- Facts About Pennsylvania – Find more awesome facts about Pennsylvania on the Cool Kid Facts website.
- Pennsylvania – Wikipedia – Read the article about Pennsylvania on the Wikipedia website to learn more about it.