- U.S. State: California
- Abbreviation: CA
- Joined the USA: September 9th, 1850 (31st State)
- Located: West Coast of the United States
- Capital City: Sacramento, CA
- Most Populated City: Los Angeles, CA
31 California Facts for Kids
- California is a state in the United States of America.
- California is the western region of the United States.
- California became a U.S. state on Monday, September 9th, 1850.
- California was the 31st state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of California covers 163,696 square miles.
- California is the 3rd largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of California was estimated to be 39,510,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, California was the most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in California is called a Californian.
- The capital city of California is Sacramento.
- The three most populated cities in California are Los Angeles, San Diego and San Jose.
- The largest city by population in California is Los Angeles.
- The largest metropolitan area in California is the Greater Los Angeles area.
- The U.S. state of California has 58 counties.
- The most populated county in California is Los Angeles County with 10+ million residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in California is San Bernardino County with 20,062 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in California is Mount Whitney with a summit at 14,505 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in California is the Badwater Basin at 279 feet below sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in California is 22.97 inches.
- California is the 40th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in California is 61.17 °F.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in California was 134 °F on July 10th, 1913.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in California was -45 °F on January 20th, 1937.
- A few natural disasters that can affect California are earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions and wildfires.
- California is in one time zone, Pacific Time Zone (PT).
- The USPS abbreviation for California is CA.
- The first European to explore California was Iberian explorer Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo.
- The official state flower of California is the golden poppy.
- The official state tree of California is the California redwoods.
- The official state bird of California is the California valley quail.
- The official state fish of California is the California golden trout.
Pictures of California
A picture of the flag for the U.S. state of California.
A picture of Sacramento, the capital city of California.
A picture of Los Angeles, the most populated city in California.
Additional Resources on California
- About California – Discover more about the U.S. state of California on the History Channel website.
- History of California – Learn about the history of California on the Ducksters website.
- Facts About California – Find more facts about California for kids on the Cool Kids Facts website.
- California – Wikipedia – Read the Wikipedia entry on the U.S. state of California to learn more about it.