- U.S. State: Minnesota
- Abbreviation: MN
- Joined the USA: May 11th, 1858 (32nd State)
- Located: Midwestern United States
- Capital City: Saint Paul, MN
- Most Populated City: Minneapolis, MN
32 Minnesota Facts for Kids
- Minnesota is a state in the United States of America.
- Minnesota became a U.S. State on Tuesday, May 11th, 1858.
- Minnesota was the 32nd state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Minnesota covers 86,950 square miles.
- Minnesota is the 12th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Minnesota was estimated to be 5,640,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Minnesota was the 22nd most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Minnesota is called a Minnesotan.
- The capital city of Minnesota is Saint Paul.
- The three most populated cities in Minnesota are Minneapolis, Saint Paul and Rochester.
- The largest city by population in Minnesota is Minneapolis.
- The largest metropolitan area in Minnesota is the Minneapolis–Saint Paul metropolitan area.
- The U.S. state of Minnesota has 87 counties.
- The most populated county in Minnesota is Hennepin County with 1,266,000 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Minnesota is Saint Louis County with 6,225 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Minnesota is Eagle Mountain at 2,301 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Minnesota is Lake Superior at 602 feet above sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Minnesota is 28.6 inches.
- Minnesota is the 38th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Minnesota is 42.9 °F.
- Minnesota is the 48th warmest state in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Minnesota was 115 °F on July 29th, 1917.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Minnesota was -60 °F on February 2nd, 1996.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Minnesota are blizzards, hail, heat waves, ice storms, river flooding and thunderstorms.
- Minnesota is in one time zone, Central Time Zone (CT).
- The USPS abbreviation for Minnesota is MN.
- Minnesota is commonly known as the Land of 10,000 Lakes.
- There are more than 15,000 lakes in Minnesota that cover more than one million acres.
- The official state fish of Minnesota is the walleye (Sander vitreus).
- The official state bird of Minnesota is the common loon (Gavia immer).
- The official state flower of Minnesota is the showy lady’s slipper (Cypripedium reginae).
- The official state tree of Minnesota is the red pine (Pinus resinosa).
Pictures of Minnesota
A picture of the flag of the U.S. state of Minnesota.
A picture of Lansing, the capital city of Minnesota.
A picture of Detroit, the largest city in Minnesota.
Additional Resources on Minnesota
- About Minnesota – Discover more about the U.S. state of Minnesota on the National Geographic Kids website.
- History of Minnesota – Learn about the history of Minnesota on the Minnesota Historical Society website.
- Facts About Minnesota – Find more facts about Minnesota on the Cool Kids Facts website.
- Minnesota – Britannica – Read this detailed article about the U.S. state of Minnesota on the Britannica website