- U.S. State: Oregon
- Abbreviation: OR
- Joined the USA: February 14th, 1859 (33rd State)
- Located: Western United States
- Capital City: Salem, OR
- Most Populated City: Portland, OR
36 Oregon Facts for Kids
- Oregon is a state in the United States of America.
- Oregon is in the western region of the United States.
- Oregon became a U.S. state on Monday, February 14th, 1859.
- Oregon was the 33rd state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Oregon covers 98,381 square miles.
- Oregon is the 9th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Oregon was estimated to be 4,218,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Oregon was the 27th most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Oregon is called an Oregonian.
- The capital city of Oregon is Salem.
- The eight most populated cities in Oregon are Portland, Salem, Eugene, Gresham, Hillsboro, Beaverton, Bend and Medford.
- The largest city by population in Oregon is Portland.
- The largest metropolitan area in Oregon is the Portland metropolitan area.
- The U.S. state of Oregon has 36 counties.
- The most populated county in Oregon is Multnomah County with 812,855 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Oregon is Harney County with 10,135 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Oregon is Mount Hood at 11,249 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Oregon is the coastline of the Pacific Ocean at sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Oregon is 43.6 inches.
- Oregon is the 20th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Oregon is 51.2 °F.
- Oregon is the 27th warmest state in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Oregon was 117 °F on July 27th, 1939.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Oregon was -54 °F on February 10th, 1933.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Oregon are earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions and wildfires.
- Oregon is in two time zones, Pacific Time Zone (PT) and Mountain Time Zone (MT).
- The USPS abbreviation for Oregon is OR.
- Oregon is also known as the Beaver State.
- The motto for the U.S. state of Oregon is “She flies with her own wings”.
- The official state insect of Oregon is the swallowtail butterfly (Papilionidae).
- The official state fish of Oregon is the chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha).
- The official state animal of Oregon is the beaver (Castor).
- The official state bird of Oregon is the western meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta).
- The official state gemstone of Oregon is the sunstone.
- The official state flower of Oregon is the Oregon grape (Mahonia aquifolium).
- The official state tree of Oregon is the Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii).
Pictures of Oregon
A picture of the flag of the U.S. state of Oregon.
A picture of Salem, the capital city of Oregon.
A picture of Portland, the most populated city in Oregon.
Additional Resources on Oregon
- About Oregon – Discover more about Oregon, United States on the Mental Floss website.
- History of Oregon – Learn about the history of the U.S. state of Oregon on the Duckster website.
- Facts About Oregon – Find more awesome facts about Oregon on the 50 States website.
- Oregon – Britannica – Read the article about Oregon on the Britannica website to learn more about it.