- U.S. State: Delaware
- Abbreviation: DE
- Joined the USA: December 7th, 1787 (1st State)
- Located: Northeastern United States
- Capital City: Dover, DE
- Most Populated City: Wilmington, DE
32 Delaware Facts for Kids
- Delaware is a state in the United States of America.
- Delaware is in the northeastern region of the United States.
- Delaware became a U.S. state on Friday, December 7th, 1787.
- Delaware was the 1st state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Delaware covers 1,982 square miles.
- Delaware is the 49th largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Delaware was estimated to be 973,764 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Delaware was the 46th most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Delaware is called a Delawarean.
- The capital city of Delaware is Dover.
- The four most populated cities in Delaware are Wilmington, Dover, Newark and Middletown.
- The largest city by population in Delaware is Wilmington.
- The largest metropolitan area in Delaware is Delaware Valley.
- The U.S. state of Delaware has 3 counties.
- Delaware has the fewest number of counties out of all the states in the United States.
- The most populated county in Delaware is New Castle County with 558,753 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Delaware is Sussex County with 1,196 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Delaware is the Ebright Azimuth monument at 447.85 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Delaware is the coastline of the Atlantic Ocean which is at sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Delaware is 45.82 inches.
- Delaware is the 16th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Delaware was 110 °F on July 21st, 1930.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Delaware was -17 °F on January 17th, 1893.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Delaware are heat waves, hurricanes, ice storms and blizzards.
- Delaware is in one time zone, Eastern Time Zone (ET).
- The USPS abbreviation for Delaware is DE.
- Delaware was the first state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- The official state bird of Delaware is the Delaware blue hen.
- The official state fish of Delaware is the Weakfish (Cynoscion regalis).
- The official state flower of Delaware is the peach blossom (Prunus persica).
- The official state tree of Delaware is the American holly (Ilex opaca).
- The official state fossil of Delaware is the belemnite (Belemnitida).
Pictures of Delaware
A picture of the flag of the U.S. state of Delaware.
A picture of Dover, DE the state capital of Delaware.
A picture of the city of Wilmington, Delaware.
Additional Resources on Delaware
- About Delaware – Learn more about the U.S. state of Delaware on the Delaware Inc website.
- History of Delaware – Discover the history of Delaware on the Delaware State Government website.
- Facts About Delaware – Find more facts and stats about Delaware on the 50 States website.
- Delaware – Wikipedia – Read the Wikipedia entry on Delaware, USA.