- U.S. State: Wisconsin
- Abbreviation: WI
- Joined the USA: May 29th, 1848 (30th State)
- Located: Midwestern United States
- Capital City: Madison, WI
- Most Populated City: Milwaukee, WI
38 Wisconsin Facts for Kids
- Wisconsin is a state in the United States of America.
- Wisconsin is in the midwestern region of the United States.
- Wisconsin became a U.S. state on Monday, May 29th, 1848.
- Wisconsin was the 30th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Wisconsin covers 65,498 square miles.
- Wisconsin is the 23rd largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Wisconsin was estimated to be 5,822,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Wisconsin was the 20th most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Wisconsin is called a Wisconsinite.
- The capital city of Wisconsin is Madison.
- The four largest cities in Wisconsin are Milwaukee, Madison, Green Bay and Kenosha.
- The largest city in by population in Wisconsin is Milwaukee.
- The largest metropolitan area in Wisconsin is the Milwaukee metropolitan area
- The U.S. state of Wisconsin has 72 counties.
- The most populated county in Wisconsin is Milwaukee County with 945,726 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest county by area in Wisconsin is Marathon County with 1,544 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Wisconsin is Timms Hill at 1,951 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Wisconsin is the shoreline of Lake Michigan at 579 feet above sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Wisconsin is 38.6 inches.
- Wisconsin is the 29th wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- The average temperature in Wisconsin is 44.7 °F.
- Wisconsin is the 42nd warmest state in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Wisconsin was 114 °F on July 13th, 1936.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Wisconsin was -53 °F on February 4th, 1996.
- A few natural disasters that can affect Wisconsin are blizzards, heat waves, ice storms and thunderstorms.
- Wisconsin is in one time zone, Central Time Zone (CT).
- The USPS abbreviation for Wisconsin is WI.
- Wisconsin is also known as the Badger State and America’s Dairyland.
- Wisconsin is home to the famous NFL American football team, the Green Bay Packers.
- The motto of the U.S. state of Wisconsin is “Forward”.
- The official state flower of Wisconsin is the wood violet
- The official state tree of Wisconsin is the sugar maple
- The official state insect of Wisconsin is the honeybee (Apis).
- The official state fish of Wisconsin is the muskie (Esox masquinongy).
- The official state bird of Wisconsin is the robin (Turdus migratorius).
- The official state animal of Wisconsin is the badger (Mustelidae).
- The official state rock of Wisconsin is red granite.
- The official state fossil of Wisconsin is trilobite (extinct marine artiopodan arthropod).
Pictures of Wisconsin
A picture of the flag for the U.S. state of Wisconsin.
A picture of Madison, the capital city of Wisconsin.
A picture of Milwaukee, the most populated city in Wisconsin.
Additional Resources on Wisconsin
- About Wisconsin – Find more information about Wisconsin on the National Geographic Kids website.
- The History of Wisconsin – Learn about the history of the U.S. state of Wisconsin on the History Channel website.
- Facts About Wisconsin – Discover some awesome facts about Wisconsin on the Wisconsin History website.
- Wisconsin – Britannica – Read the Wisconsin entry on the Britannica website to learn more about it.