- U.S. State: Louisiana
- Abbreviation: LA
- Joined the USA: April 30th, 1812 (18th State)
- Located: Southeastern United States
- Capital City: Baton Rouge, LA
- Most Populated City: New Orleans, LA
32 Louisiana Facts for Kids
- Louisiana is a state in the United States of America.
- Louisiana became a U.S. State on Thursday, April 30th, 1812.
- Louisiana was the 18th state to join the United States.
- The U.S. state of Louisiana covers 52,069 square miles.
- Louisiana is the 31st largest state by area in the United States.
- In 2019, the population of Louisiana was estimated to be 4,649,000 residents by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- In 2019, Louisiana was the 25th most populated state in the United States.
- A person who is from or lives in Louisiana is called a Louisianian.
- The capital city of Louisiana is Baton Rouge.
- The four most populated cities in Louisiana are New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport and Lafayette.
- The largest city by population in Louisiana is New Orleans.
- The largest metropolitan area in Louisiana is the Greater New Orleans metropolitan area.
- The U.S. state of Louisiana has 65 parishes.
- The most populated parish in Louisiana is East Baton Rouge Parish with 440,059 residents (2019, U.S. Census Bureau).
- The largest parish by area in Louisiana is Plaquemines Parish with 2,429 square miles.
- The highest elevation point in Louisiana is Driskill Mountain at 535 feet above sea level.
- The lowest elevation point in Louisiana is the City of New Orleans at 8 feet below sea level.
- The average precipitation (rain and snow) in Louisiana is 59.1 inches.
- Louisiana is the wettest state by precipitation (rain and snow) in the United States.
- Louisiana has more annual precipitation than any other U.S. state.
- The average temperature in Louisiana is 66.7 °F.
- Louisiana is the 3rd warmest state in the United States.
- The warmest temperature ever recorded in Louisiana was 114 °F on August 10th, 1936.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Louisiana was -16 °F on February 13th, 1899.
- A couple natural disasters that can affect Louisiana are hurricanes and thunderstorms.
- Louisiana is in one time zone, Central Time Zone (CT).
- The USPS abbreviation for Louisiana is LA.
- Louisiana is also known as the Pelican State.
- The motto of the U.S. state of Louisiana is “Union, justice, and confidence”.
- The official state flower of Louisiana is the magnolia.
- The official state tree of Louisiana is the bald cypress (Taxodium distichum).
- The official state bird of Louisiana is the eastern brown pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis carolinensis).
Pictures of Louisiana
A picture of the U.S. state flag of Louisiana, USA.
A picture of Baton Rouge, the capital city of Louisiana, USA.
A picture of New Orleans, the most populated city in Louisiana, USA.
Additional Resources on Louisiana
- About Louisiana – Learn about the U.S. state of Louisiana on the Louisiana State Government website.
- History of Louisiana – Discover the history of the U.S. state of Louisiana on the Genealogy Trails website.
- Facts About Louisiana – Find more facts about the U.S. state of Louisiana on the Cool Kid Facts website.
- Louisiana – Wikipedia – Read the Wikipedia article on the U.S. state of Louisiana to learn more about it.