- Name: William Shakespeare
- Profession: Actor, Playwright and Poet
- Born: 1564 (Actual date not known)
- Died: April 23rd, 1616 in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England
- Resting Place: Holy Trinity Church in Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
- Legacy: Famous for his plays, sonnets and poems
25 William Shakespeare Facts for Kids
- William Shakespeare was an actor, playwright and poet from England.
- William Shakespeare is most famous for his plays, like Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet.
- The actual birthdate of William Shakespeare isn’t known, records prove he was baptized on April 26th, 1564. His birthday is traditional celebrated on Saint George’s Day (April 23rd).
- William Shakespeare was the son of English businessman John Shakespeare and Mary Shakespeare.
- William Shakespeare was one of eight children by John and Mary Shakespeare.
- William Shakespeare married Anne Hathaway in November 1582.
- William and Anne Shakespeare had three children, one boy (Hamnet) and two girls (Susanna and Judith).
- William Shakespeare died at the age of 23 on April 23rd, 1616 in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England.
- Shakespeare wrote at least 39 plays during his lifetime.
- The most popular play written by Shakespeare is “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”.
- Shakespeare produced 139 sonnets during his lifetime.
- The most popular sonnet produced by Shakespeare is either Sonnet 106 or Sonnet 138.
- Shakespeare created two long narrative poems during his lifetime.
- Between 1580 and 1590, Shakespeare wrote one his earliest plays titled “The Taming of the Shrew”.
- In 1583, Shakespeare’s first daughter Susanna Shakespeare is born. Many speculate that William and Anne Shakespeare got married because Anne was pregnant with Susanna before they were married.
- In 1583, Shakespeare’s twins Hamnet and Judith are born.
- In 1591, Shakespeare wrote the play “Henry VI Part II”. This is the first play that Shakespeare wrote based on history.
- Between 1594 and 1596, Shakespeare wrote the play title “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”. This is Shakespeare’s most reproduced play (live theater) in modern history.
- Between 1595 and 1596, Shakespeare wrote the famous play “Romeo and Juliet”.
- In 1596, Shakespeare’s 11 year old son Hamnet dies of unknown causes.
- Between 1599 and 1601, Shakespeare wrote the famous play “Hamlet”.
- In 1607, Shakespeare’s oldest daughter Susanna marries English physician John Hall.
- Between 1613 and 1614, Shakespeare wrote his last play titled “The Two Noble Kinsmen”.
- In 1616, Shakespeare’s youngest daughter Judith marries Thomas Quiney.
- When Shakespeare died, it was less than a month after he updated his will and testament. Most of Shakespeare’s estate was left to his oldest daughter Susanna and her first born son.
Pictures of William Shakespeare
A picture of William Shakespeare’s famous Hamlet quote.
A picture of a statue of William Shakespeare.
A picture of old William Shakespeare books on a shelf.
Additional Resources on William Shakespeare
- About William Shakespeare – Find more information on William Shakespeare on the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust Shakespeare website.
- Biography of William Shakespeare – Read the biography of William Shakespeare on the Biography website.
- Timeline of William Shakespeare – View a timeline of the life of William Shakespeare on the Folger Shakespeare Library website.
- William Shakespeare – Wikipedia – Discover more facts and information about William Shakespeare on the Wikipedia website.