- Name: Marilyn Monroe (Norma Jeane Mortenson)
- Profession: Actress, Model and Singer
- Born: June 1st, 1926 in Los Angeles, California, USA
- Died: August 4th, 1962 in Los Angeles, California, USA
- Resting Place: Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery
- Legacy: Famous actress of the 1950s and 1960s
22 Marilyn Monroe Facts for Kids
- Marilyn Monroe was a famous American actress, model and singer.
- Marilyn Monroe is most famous for being a sex symbol in the 1950s and early 1960s.
- Marilyn Monroe was born on June 1st, 1926 in Los Angeles, California, United States.
- Marilyn Monroe’s birth name was Norma Jeane Mortenson.
- Marilyn Monroe was the daughter of Gladys P. Baker; her actual biological father isn’t known.
- Marilyn Monroe was married three times during her lifetime. Her first husband was American police officer James Dougherty (1942 to 1946). Her second husband was American professional baseball player Joe DiMaggio (1954 to 1955). Her third husband was American playwright Arthur Miller (1956 to 1961).
- Marilyn Monroe had no children with any of her three husbands.
- Marilyn Monroe died of a drug overdose at the age of 36 on August 4th, 1962 in Los Angeles, California, USA.
- Between 1946 and 1961, Monroe appeared in 29 movies and appeared on four different television shows.
- Films featuring Monroe earned around $200 million ($2 billion 2019 USD) between 1947 and 1961.
- Monroe was nominated for 15 awards throughout her career, she won 10 of those award nominations.
- In 1944, Monroe took part in her first modeling gig with American photographer David Conover.
- In 1946, Monroe changed her name to her new screen name, Marilyn Monroe.
- In 1947, Monroe appeared in her first film, “Dangerous Years”, as a character named Evie.
- In 1953, Monroe appeared in the film “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes” as character Lorelei Lee. This was arguably one of the best film performances of Monroe’s career.
- In 1953, Monroe appeared nude in the first issue of Playboy magazine.
- In 1954, Monroe and Milton Greene formed the Marilyn Monroe Productions company.
- In 1957, Monroe appeared in the film “The Prince and the Showgirl” as character Elsie Marina. This film would win Monroe four awards, the most out of any of her film appearances.
- In 1961, Monroe appeared in her last film, “The Misfits”, as a character named Roslyn Taber.
- In 1962, Monroe was working on her 30th film titled “Somethings Got to Give”, but she was fired by 20th Century Fox before filming was complete. Her death resulted in the film never being released.
- On August 4th, 1962, Monroe died her bedroom from barbiturate overdose. Her death was ruled a probable suicide, but no one really knows if her overdose was an accident or intentional.
- There are several different conspiracy theories behind the death of Marilyn Monroe. The common theme among all the conspiracy theories is someone murdered Monroe. No evidence exists to prove any of these theories are true.
Pictures of Marilyn Monroe
A picture of Marilyn Monroe as a baby.
A picture of a Marilyn Monroe as a teen.
A picture of Marilyn Monroe as an adult.
Additional Resources on Marilyn Monroe
- About Marilyn Monroe – Find more information on Marilyn Monroe on the History Channel website.
- Biography of Marilyn Monroe – Read the biography of Marilyn Monroe on the Biography website.
- Timeline of Marilyn Monroe – View a timeline of the life of Marilyn Monroe on the American Heritage website.
- Marilyn Monroe – Britannica – Discover more facts and information about Marilyn Monroe on the Britannica website.