Are you looking for some facts about Jimmy Durante for kids? What did he achieve in his career? This article contains all the exciting information that you ought to be aware of, including the Facts About Jimmy Durante for Kids.
- Name: Jimmy Durante
- Profession: Singer, Comedian, Pianist, Voice Actor, and Film Actor
- Born: February 10, 1893
- Died: January 29, 1980
- Resting Place: Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery, Culver City, California, United States
- Legacy: He got his nickname, Schnozzola, since his nose was so stunning. Also famous for singing, acting, and comedy.
American comedian, singer, actor, writer, and pianist James Francis “Jimmy” Durante. The Great Schnozzle was his well-known nickname, which was a reference to the size of his nose.
In addition to it, he was renowned for his low, raspy voice. In 1952, he was honored with an Emmy Award.
Brooklyn, New York, was the location of Durante’s birth on February 10, 1893.
His family was devoutly Catholic and Italian. The Roman Catholic Church of Saint Malachy, commonly called also As Actors’ Chapel, was where he did his religious education.
Here are some facts about Jimmy Durante for kids:
Facts About Jimmy Durante for Kids
1. Jimmy became a well-known figure during his career due to his protruding nose and songs. His music got heavily influenced by jazz.
2. He was the fourth child and the youngest of his parents, who both immigrated to the United States from Salerno, Italy.
3. The appearance and voice of Crispy, the mascot for Crispy Critters cereals, were both modeled on Jimmy Durante. Crispy got the name after his name Jimmy Dorante.
4. One of the notable characters in the ‘Heckle and Jeckle’ animated series by Terrytoons mimicked Jimmy’s mannerisms and speech patterns.
5. Jimmy had a soft spot in his heart for young people. Jimmy had deep compassion for young people.
6. While he was younger, he also became interested in acquiring musical instruments and eventually became an expert pianist.
7. Due to Jimmy Durante’s consistent performances on the City music venue circuit, he earned the nick moniker “Ragtime Jimmy.”
8. Jimmy Durante provided the voiceover for the animated Christmas spectacular Frosty the Snowman. Rankin-Bass produced it.
9. In 1963, Jimmy Durante released the classic pop album September Song. It became immensely successful, lending legitimacy to Durante’s talent and revitalizing his career.
10. In the 1920s, Jimmy Durante was a trio member that featured Eddie Jackson and Lou Clayton. He rose to fame as an entertainment sensation and radio personality during this time.
11. On September 10, 1933, Durante made his first appearance on the radio as he featured on NBC on Eddie Cantor’s program The Chase & Sanborn Show.
12. Jimmy’s one-man musical comedy show, which he performed during the great depression in The 1930s in New York, was a massive hit at the Copacabana in that city.
13. He continued his career in radio, and in 1943 he and Garry Moore created The Durante-Moore Show. Throughout 1935 until 1936, he was a cast member in The Jumbo Fire Chief Show.
14. Jimmy Durante appeared in an advertisement for the Volkswagen Beetle in 1973.
15. The American actor having Italian ancestry, Jimmy Durante, rose to prominence in the late 1920s and early 1930s and amassed a net worth of $1.5 million.
16. Jimmy Durante began working with his sidekick Sonny King. Their partnership lasted until the comedian’s death.
17. The duo in collaboration with Frank Sinatra conceived the National Army Radio Commanding Performance. On October 1, 1947, the program got a new name: The Jimmy Durante Show.
18. Jimmy Durante expanded the breadth of his career by beginning his foray into television on November 1, 1950.
19. In the 1960s, Jimmy Durante presented the live version of the variety show broadcast on ABC from the Hollywood Palace.
20. They utilized a recording of Jimmy’s voice in the Fred and Barney episode of “Fred & Barney Meet a Thing” from the Hanna-Barbera cartoon series.
Indeed Jimmy Durante gained fame and became one of the most famous personalities of his time.
He has spent his life to the fullest and done a lot for the kids through voiceovers, etc.
Adults today remember their childhood stars in good memories only.
In order to pursue a career as a ragtime pianist, Durante quit school when he was in the eighth grade.
Soon after, he became a member of a well-known jazz band.
He quickly became known for his signature style which consisted of interjecting a song, a joke, or perhaps in the mid of a piece, accompanied by a musical reaction from the band.
Due to his impeccable comic timing, his clever use of funny language, and his jazzy, beautiful melodies, he became the most famous and well-liked stage, television, silver screen, and radio artist in the United States.
Young Jimmy Durante was aware of his prodigious skill at playing ragtime piano from an extremely young age.
Here, I conclude my article. I hope these amazing Facts About Jimmy Durante for Kids gave you the information you never knew. Stay tuned for more informative articles!