- Name: Walt Disney
- Profession: Animator, Writer, Voice Actor and Film Producer
- Born: December 5th, 1901 in Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Died: December 15th, 1966 in Burbank, California, United States
- Resting Place: Forest Lawn Memorial Park
- Legacy: Famous for the creation of the Walt Disney Company
22 Walt Disney Facts for Kids
- Walt Disney was an American animator, film producer, voice actor and writer.
- Walt Disney is most famous for creating the Walt Disney Company and several popular cartoon characters.
- Walt Disney was born on December 5th, 1901 in Chicago, Illinois, United States.
- Walt Disney’s full birthname was Walter Elias Disney.
- Walt Disney was the son of Elias Disney and Flora Disney.
- Walt Disney was one of five children by Elias and Flora Disney.
- Walt Disney had three brothers (Herbert, Raymond and Roy) and one sister (Ruth).
- Walt Disney married American ink artist Lillian Disney on July 13th, 1925.
- Walt and Lillian Disney had two children, Diane M. Disney (biological) and Sharon Mae Disney (adopted).
- Walt Disney died at the age of 65 due to complications from lung cancer (circulatory collapse) on December 15th, 1966 in Burbank, California, United States.
- In 1919, Disney becomes an apprentice artist at the Pesmen-Rubin Commercial Art Studio in Kansas City.
- In 1920, Disney meets Ub Iwerks and together they form the Iwerks-Disney Commercial Artists company. However, the company is dissolved in a month after it fails. That same year both Disney and Iwerks discover animation when they get jobs with the Kansas City Slide Company.
- In 1925, Disney hires Lillian Bounds as an ink artist and the two get married the same year.
- In 1928, Disney along with Ub Iwerks create the famous cartoon character Mickey Mouse. This newly created character by Walt and Ub appears first in the animated short films Plane Crazy and Steamboat Willie. Mickey Mouse becomes very popular within a year of its first films being released.
- In 1931, more than one million people are members of the Mickey Mouse Club.
- In 1933, Lillian Disney gives birth to Diane M. Disney. Diane is the only biological child of Walt and Lillian.
- In 1936, Disney and his wife adopt Sharon Mae Disney.
- In 1937, Disney releases Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. This is the first feature film released by Walt Disney.
- Between 1937 and 1963, Disney and Walt Disney productions release 18 different films. Many of these films become huge hits, like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty and One Hundred and One Dalmatians.
- In 1955, Disneyland is opens in Anaheim, California, United States. This is an amusement park was designed and built under the direct supervision of Disney.
- In 1965, Disney started working on another amusement park known at the time as “Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow” (EPCOT). This would eventually morph into Disney World in Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
- In 1966, Disney dies from lung cancer caused by heavy smoking. His body is cremated, and his remains are laid to rest at the Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, California, United States.
Pictures of Walt Disney
A picture of Walt Disney drawing Goofy for a group of girls.
A picture of Walt Disney sharing plans for Disneyland in California.
A picture of a scene in the Snow White trailer with Walt Disney.
Additional Resources on Walt Disney
- About Walt Disney – Find more information on Walt Disney on the Duckster website.
- Biography of Walt Disney – Read the biography of Walt Disney on the Biography website.
- Timeline of Walt Disney – View a timeline of the life of Walt Disney on the Walt Disney Family Museum website.
- Walt Disney – Wikipedia – Discover more facts and information about Walt Disney on the Wikipedia website.