- Name: Vincent van Gogh
- Profession: Post-Impressionist Painter
- Born: March 30th, 1853 in Zundert, Netherlands, Europe
- Died: July 20th, 1890 in Auvers-sur-Oise, France, Europe
- Resting Place: Auvers-sur-Oise Cemetery
- Legacy: Famous for his oil paintings and drawings
25 Vincent van Gogh Facts for Kids
- Vincent van Gogh was a post-impressionist painter from the 19th century.
- Vincent van Gogh is most famous for his influence on Western art.
- Vincent van Gogh was born on March 30th, 1853 in Zundert, Netherlands, Europe.
- Vincent van Gogh’s actual birth name was Vincent Willem van Gogh.
- Vincent van Gogh was named after a stillborn brother and his grandfather.
- Vincent van Gogh was the son of Dutch minister Theodorus van Gogh and Anna Cornelia Carbentus.
- Vincent van Gogh never got married and did not have any children.
- Vincent van Gogh died by a self-inflicted gunshot at the age of 37 on July 29th, 1890 in Auvers-sur-Oise, France.
- Many historians believe van Gogh committed suicide due mental illness and depression.
- Throughout his career, van Gogh created more than 2,100 different pieces of artwork.
- Between 1869 and 1873, van Gogh trained at the Goupil & Cie art dealership.
- Between 1885 and 1889, van Gogh created more than 43 oil paintings of himself.
- In April 1885, van Gogh completes the oil painting “The Potato Eaters”. Many art historians consider this to be one of the first masterpieces by van Gogh.
- In 1887, van Gogh completes the oil painting “Self Portrait with Straw Hat”.
- In September 1888, van Gogh completed two separate oil paintings. The “Starry Night Over the Rhône” and the “Café Terrace at Night”.
- In October 1888, van Gogh completes the oil painting “Bedroom in Arles”. This was a painting of his bedroom at the Yellow House located at 2 Place Lamartine, Arles, France, Europe.
- In December 1888, van Gogh cuts part of his ear off with a razor and spends time at a hospital in Arles, France.
- Between 1889 and 1890, van Gogh was a patient at the Saint-Paul-de-Mausole asylum.
- In May 1889, van Gogh completes the oil painting “Irises” at Saint-Paul-de-Mausole.
- In June 1889, van Gogh completes the oil painting “The Starry Night” at Saint-Paul-de-Mausole.
- In 1890, van Gogh completes the oil painting “Almond Blossoms” at Saint-Paul-de-Mausole.
- In July 1890, van Gogh completes the oil painting “Tree Roots”. This is the last painting created by van Gogh before he commits suicide less than a month later.
- On July 27th, 1890 van Gogh shot himself in the chest using a 7mm revolver. The gunshot wound wasn’t instantly fatal. He ends up walking back to Auberge Ravoux where two doctors attend to him.
- On July 29th, 1890 van Gogh dies from his self-inflicted gunshot wound.
- The gun van Gogh used to commit suicide is known as the “the most famous weapon in art history”. On June 19th, 2019 the gun was sold at auction for $182,000.
Pictures of Vincent van Gogh
A picture of paint brushes used by Vincent Van Gogh.
A picture of a flower painted in the style of Vincent Van Gogh.
A picture of a scene painted in the style of Vincent Van Gogh.
Additional Resources on Vincent van Gogh
- About Vincent van Gogh – Find more information on Vincent van Gogh on the Van Gogh Museum website.
- Biography of Vincent van Gogh – Read the biography of Vincent van Gogh on the Biography website.
- Timeline of Vincent van Gogh – View a timeline of the life of Vincent van Gogh on the Van Gogh Gallery website.
- Vincent van Gogh – Britannica – Discover more facts and information about Vincent van Gogh on the Britannica website.