- Common Name: Whale
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Chordata
- Class: Mammalia
- Order: Artiodactyla
- Suborder: Whippomorpha
- Infraorder: Cetacea
15 Whale Facts for Kids
- Whales are cetaceans.
- Whales are marine mammals, even though they spend 99.9% of their time in the water.
- Whales breathe air just like humans, they need to come to the surface regularly to breathe.
- There are two types of whales, the toothed whale and the baleen whale.
- Whales are very vocal and can produce sounds that can be heard for miles underwater.
- Whales can weigh between 500 pounds and 200 tons.
- Whales can reach lengths between 9 and 98 feet long.
- A male whale is called a bull.
- A female whale is called a cow.
- A baby whale is called a calf.
- Whales are live birth animals and it takes nine to ten months from conception until birth.
- Some whales are one of the longest living animals on our planet. The bowhead whale (Balaena mysticetus) can live to be over 200 years old.
- The humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) was almost hunted to extinction. Before a moratorium was placed in 1996, their population declined by around 90%.
- The killer whale (Orcinus orca) is an apex predator and there is no other living animal that preys on them, besides humans.
- The blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus) is the largest animal ever known to have existed, both living and extinct.
Additional Resources on Whales
- Facts about whales – Whale & Dolphin Conservation USA – Discover some amazing facts about whales on the Whale & Dolphin Conservation USA website.
- Whales – Britannica – Learn more about whales on the Britannica website.
- Whales – Wikipedia – Explore whales and learn more about them on the Wikipedia website.