- Name: Giraffe
- Family: Giraffidae
- Type Species: Giraffa camelopardalis
- Total Living Species: 8
- Lifespan: Up to 38 years
- Diet: Herbivore
- Weight: Between 1,825 and 2,629 pounds
18 Giraffe Facts for Kids
- Giraffes are the tallest living animals that are native to Africa and are members of the Giraffa genus.
- The type species for giraffes is the northern giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis).
- There are nine known living subspecies of giraffes.
- The estimated wild giraffe population in 2016 was 90,000 individuals.
- The average lifespan of a giraffe in the wild is 25 years, while in captivity they can live up to 40 years.
- Giraffes are herbivores, and they love to eat the leaves and buds of the acacia tree.
- Giraffes can eat up to 100 pounds of vegetation a day.
- Since giraffes eat so much vegetation each day, they rarely need to drink water.
- A male giraffe can grow up to 18 feet in length
- A female giraffe can grow up to 14 feet in length.
- A male giraffe on average weighs between 2,400 and 3,000 pounds
- A female giraffe on average weighs between 1,600 and 2,600 pounds.
- Giraffes can run up to 35 miles per hour over a short distance, and up to 10 miles per hour over a long distance.
- A male giraffe is called a bull, a female giraffe is called a cow and a baby giraffe is called a calf.
- A group of giraffes is called a tower. These groups on average have 15 members, which usually contains one adult male, multiple adult females and both male and female babies.
- A giraffe’s tail is longer than any other mammal’s tail, reaching up to 8 feet in length.
- A baby giraffe can stand in as little as one hour after being born.
- The current International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) conservation status for giraffes is vulnerable.
A photo of a group of three giraffes.
Credit: Animal Adventure Park
A photo of a mother and baby giraffe.
Credit: Robert Muckley
A photo of a baby giraffe trying to walk.
Additional Resources with Giraffe Facts
- Giraffe – Learn more about giraffe species on the African Wildlife Foundation website.
- Giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis) – Discover some awesome facts about giraffes on the Kruger National Park website.
- Giraffe Species – Find out more about different giraffe species on the Giraffe Conservation Foundation website.