- Name: Cat
- Binomial Name: Felis catus
- Lifespan: 15 years in 2018
- Diet: Meat (carnivorous)
- Range: Worldwide (domesticated)
- Length: 1 foot, 6 inches on average
- Weight: Between 8.5 and 11 pounds (average)
18 Cat Facts for Kids
- Cats are small to medium sized members of the Felis genus.
- Their scientific binomial name is Felis catus.
- As of 2019, the TICA (The International Cat Association) recognizes 71 standard cat breeds.
- Cats are the only domesticated species in the Felidae family.
- Cats can reach a length of 1 foot, 6 inches on average.
- Cats can reach between 8.5 and 11 pounds on average.
- Some species of cats can achieve running speeds up to 30 miles per hour.
- It’s estimated there are between 200 and 600 million domesticated cats worldwide.
- Cats are the second most popular domestic pet in the world.
- A male cat is called a tom.
- A female cat is called a queen or molly.
- A young cat is called a kitten.
- A group of cats is called a clowder.
- Cats can jump on average 8 feet, which is about six times their average body length.
- Cats spend around 70% of their time sleeping, and that’s about 13 to 16 hours a day.
- The longest cat in the world was Stewie, reaching 48.5 inches in length.
- The longest living cat on record was Crème Puff. She lived 38 years and 3 days.
- On October 18th, 1963 the first and only cat went into space, her name was Felicette.
A photo of a Chartreux Cat breed.
A photo of a Siberian Cat breed.
A photo of a Selkirk Cat breed.
A photo of a Norwegian Forest Cat breed.
A photo of a Himalayan Cat breed.
A photo of a Maine Coon Cat breed.
Additional Resources on Cats
- Cats – National Geographic – Explore the National Geographic’s website to find more facts aboout cats.
- Cats – Animal Planet – Discover more about cats on the Animal Planet website.
- Cat (Felis catus) – Wikipedia – Learn more about cats on the Wikipedia website.