- Name: Strawberry, strawberries
- Type of Food: Fruit
- Produced From: Garden strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa)
- Total Calories: 50 (147 grams serving)
- Total Fat: 0 grams (147 grams serving)
- Total Protein: 1 gram (147 grams serving)
- Total Carbohydrates: 11 grams (147 grams serving)
24 Strawberry Facts for Kids
- A strawberry is a fruit grown worldwide for consumption and other uses.
- Strawberries are members of the Rosaceae family in the Fragaria genus.
- The strawberry as we know today is a hybrid of Fragaria virginiana and Fragaria chiloensis.
- From a scientific and botanical standpoint, a strawberry is not a berry, but rather an accessory fruit.
- Strawberries usually have a right red color but can come in pinkish and white colors.
- Strawberries are a sweet fruit, with a juicy texture and easy to recognize aroma.
- A strawberry can have on average 200 seeds on it.
- One cup of strawberries (168 grams) has 53 calories.
- One cup of strawberries (168 grams) has 1 gram of fat.
- One cup of strawberries (168 grams) has no cholesterol.
- One cup of strawberries (168 grams) has 2 milligrams of sodium (salt).
- One cup of strawberries (168 grams) has 13 grams of carbohydrates.
- One cup of strawberries (168 grams) has 1 gram of protein.
- One cup of strawberries (168 grams) has 27 milligrams of calcium, 1 milligram of iron and 254 milligrams of potassium.
- In 2017, the largest producer of strawberries was China with 4.1 million tons.
- In 2017, the entire world produced over 10 million tons of strawberries.
- In 2017, the United States strawberry market was estimated to be worth $3.5 billion.
- Strawberries can be eaten raw, frozen or cooked.
- Strawberries are typically freeze dried and added to other foods like cereal, ice cream and oatmeal.
- Strawberries can be turned in jams and jellies.
- Strawberries are considered an excellent source of ascorbic acid (vitamin C).
- Strawberries are used in cosmetic fragrances, air freshener and other consumer products to make them smell like strawberries.
- Scientists have sequenced strawberries and they have 7,096 genes.
- Some humans are allergic to strawberries and can have an anaphylactic reaction if they eat one.
Pictures of Strawberries
A picture of cut up strawberries.
Credit: Chelsie Craig / Food
A picture of white strawberries.
Credit: Urban Farmer
A picture of a giant strawberry.
Credit: Urban Famer
Additional Resources on Strawberries
- Strawberry Nutrition Facts – View the nutritional facts for strawberry on the USDA SNAP-Ed Connection website.
- Benefits of Strawberries – Discover all of the benefits of strawberries on thje Farmer’s Almanac website.
- Strawberry – Wikipedia – Find more facts about strawberries on the Wikipedia website.