Oak Tree Facts
- Common Name: Oak Tree
- Total Species: 600+
- Genus: Quercus
- Subfamily: Quercoideae
- Family: Fagaceae
- Order: Fagales
17 Oak Tree Facts for Kids
- Oak tree is a common name for tree species in the Quercus genus.
- The Quercus genus is a part of the beech family (Fagaceae).
- There are around 600 tree species that are considered oak trees.
- An oak tree can be a deciduous tree or an evergreen tree depending on the species.
- Oak trees can be found in North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Africa.
- Fossil evidences shows that the first oak tree appeared around 45 million years ago.
- Oak trees have an amazing lifespan, there are many specimens verified over 500 years old and there are some species that can live well over 1,000 years in ideal conditions.
- Oak trees are most well-known for their lobate leaves and the acorns they produce.
- The acorn is the fruit of an oak tree and contains one seed.
- The timber from an oak tree is prized for its hardness and strength.
- Oak tree populations are declining around the world due to deforestation, disease and pests.
- Oak trees can be killed by the water mold Phytophthora ramorum (sudden oak death) in a few weeks.
- Oak trees can be damaged by the eastern grey squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis). They like to strip the bark off oak trees, which can kill a leading shoot and reduce the size of its crown.
- Cork flooring, a sustainable and renewable floor material is obtained from the cork oak tree (Quercus suber).
- The live oak tree is the state tree of the U.S. state of Georgia.
- One of the trees with the biggest crown in the world is a Sand post oak (Quercus stellata margarettae) tree. It’s located in Gilchrist County, Florida, United States with a crown measuring 181 feet.
- One of the trees with the thickest limbs in the world is a White oak (Quercus alba) tree. It was in Wye Mills, Maryland, United States and had a limb with a diameter of 6 feet.
Pictures of a Oak Tree
A picture of the leaves on an oak tree.
A picture of an acorn (seed) on an oak tree.
A picture of an oak tree seed germinating.
Additional Resources on Oak Trees
- The Types of Oak Trees – Read about all the different types of oak trees on the Gardening Know How website.
- Oak Tree Species Guide – Discover the different oak tree species on the Texas A&M website.
- Decline of the Oak Tree – Find out why oak trees are dying on the U.S. National Park Service website.
- Oak Tree – Wikipedia – Learn more about the oak tree and the Quercus genus on the Wikipedia website.