- Plant Part Name: Flower
- Found on: Flowering Plants
- Purpose: Assists in reproduction via pollination
- Reproduction Methods: Self-pollination and cross-pollination
- Total Species: 400,000+
- Distribution: Worldwide
- Oldest Fossil Date: 130 million years ago (Montsechia vidalii)
22 Flower Facts for Kids
- A flower is the reproductive part of a flowering plant.
- Flowering plants are scientifically known as Angiospermae or Magnoliophyta.
- According to fossil evidence, flowering plants first appeared about 140 million years.
- Flowers are used by flowering plants to reproduce, either by self or cross pollination.
- There are over 300,000 known species of flowering plants.
- Flowers are beautiful and come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and colors.
- Flowers can come in virtually any color, with the exception of true black and emerald green.
- The largest flowering plant is the corpse lily (Rafflesia arnoldii).
- The flower of the corpse lily can reach an average diameter of 3.3 feet.
- The smallest flowering plant are the species watermeal and are in the Wolffia genus.
- The watermeal flowering plants can have an average diameter as small as 0.004 inches.
- Flowers also produce a wide range of fragrances.
- Flower fragrances can be defined as smelling good or as smelling terrible.
- Some flowering plants use fragrances to attract insects and animals, while others use them to keep them away.
- Orchids scents are commonly used to identify potential fragrance chemicals for perfumes and cologne.
- Morning glory flowers can open and close throughout the day. They open in the early morning hours as the sun starts to rise and close as the sun starts to set.
- Sunflowers are a source of sunflower seeds, which are a popular food among humans and animals.
- Roses are commonly used as a romantic gift or to decorate the interior or exterior of a home or business. Roses can also be used in jams, jellies and to flavor water.
- Dandelions are a common weed that are known to self-replicate at a rather fast pace.
- The vegetable broccoli is a flower.
- The Venus flytrap is one of several plants that are defined as carnivorous.
- Flowers are commonly planted in gardens for their beauty and fragrance.
Pictures of Flowers
A picture of a sunflower.
A picture of a pink rose.
A picture of a dandelion.
A picture of a morning glory.
A picture of purple orchids.
A picture of flowers blooming.
Find More Facts About Flowers
- Diversity Of Flowering Plants – Learn about different flowering plants and their diversity on the Palomar College website.
- Why Flowers Have Different Colors – Discover the reasons why flowers have all these different colors on the Library of Congress website.
- Five Facts about Flowers – Explore the Britannica website to discover five facts about flowers.
- Flower – Wikipedia – Read more cool facts about flowers on the Wikipedia website.