- Building Name: Greenhouse
- Alternate Names: Glasshouse or hothouse
- Created: Ancient Roman times
- Materials: Glass, wood or metal
- Purpose: To grow plants in a shelter with sunlight
- Uses: Grow food for commercial or personal use
16 Greenhouse Facts for Kids
- A greenhouse is an exterior structure used to grow plants in controlled conditions.
- A greenhouse has walls and a ceiling made primarily out of glass or other transparent materials.
- The glass used to build a greenhouse should be a horticultural glass grade.
- The glass needs to be free of air bubbles, which can act like a magnifying glass and burn plants.
- The size of a greenhouse varies, they can be as small as a backyard shed or as large as a warehouse.
- Greenhouses for personal uses are typically smaller and contain between 50 and 200 square feet.
- Greenhouses for industrial use are typical big and, in many cases, exceed 100,000 square feet.
- The concept of growing plants in a controlled environment started in Ancient Rome.
- A greenhouse has several benefits when compared to growing outdoors or inside a home.
- In a greenhouse, the sun is typically used to power the growth of plants via photosynthesis. In some industrial settings grow lamps might be used instead of the sun.
- In a greenhouse, the temperature and humidity levels can be controlled. This allows the grower the ability to optimize both the temperature and humidity level for the plants they’re growing.
- A greenhouse can be used year round, even in colder climates. The energy from the sun heats the inside of a greenhouse during the day and at night the heat is trapped by the glass.
- In a greenhouse, you can use carbon dioxide enrichment systems. This allows the grower to control how much carbon dioxide is available to the plants they’re growing.
- In a greenhouse, you can use semi-automated or fully-automated fertilizer delivery systems. These fertilizer systems can range from a basic gravity fertilizer system to an advanced automated fertilizer delivery system.
- In a greenhouse, you can better regulate pest populations and even prevent pests all together. A greenhouse works great at keeping out animal pests, like rabbits or squirrels. However, insects’ populations can be reduced, but in most situations not eliminated without harsh pesticides.
- There are estimates that claim there are around nine million acres of greenhouses in the world.
Pictures of Greenhouses
A picture of a backyard greenhouse.
A picture of an industrial greenhouse.
A picture of an automated greenhouse.
Find More Facts About Greenhouses
- How a Greenhouse Works – Discover how a greenhouse works on the Love to Know website.
- 10 Reasons to Have a Greenhouse – Find ten reasons why you should use a greenhouse on the Outdoor Living Today website.
- Greenhouse Pictures – Look at hundreds of different greenhouse pictures on the Houzz website.
- Greenhouse – Britannica – Learn more about greenhouses on the Britannica website.