- Common Name: Grass
- Taxonomy Name: Poaceae (family)
- Total Subfamilies: 12
- Total Genera: 771±
- Total Species: 12,000±
- Distribution: Worldwide (all seven continents)
16 Grass Facts for Kids
- Grass is a name used for a large group of monocotyledonous flowering plants in the Poaceae family.
- Grass first appeared on our planet between 55 and 129 million years ago.
- There are around 12,000 species of grasses in 780 genera in the Poaceae family.
- The Poaceae family is the 5th largest plant family in the plant kingdom.
- Grass grows on every continent and is considered one of the most distributed plant groups in the world. The grass species Antarctic hair grass (Deschampsia antarctica) grows in Antarctica.
- The size of the species in the grass family vary greatly.
- The largest species in the grass family is Giant bamboo (Dendrocalamus giganteus).
- Giant bamboo reaches an average height of 98 feet.
- One of the smallest species in the grass family is early sandgrass (Mibora minima).
- Early sandgrass only reaches a height between 0.07 and 0.59 inches.
- Many staple foods are in the grass family. Including, but not limited to barley, rice and wheat.
- Many building materials are made from species in the grass family, like bamboo and straw.
- Thousands of species in the Poaceae family are used as ornamental or lawn grass.
- Areas that are dominated by grass are known as grasslands.
- Grasslands dominate between 20 and 40% of the land mass on our planet.
- It’s estimated that grass family species make up around 26% of all the plant life on our planet.
Pictures of Grass
Find More Facts About Grass
- Grasses (Poaceae) – Find a lot of good information about grass on the Wikipedia website.
- Types of Grass – Discover the different types of grass on the Scotts website.
- 10 Cool Grass Facts – Read ten cool facts about grass that will surprise you on the Pennington Seed website.
- Grass – Britannica – Learn more about grass on the Britannica website.