- Plant Name: Rose
- Plant Type: Flowering Plant
- Plant Genus: Rosa
- Plant Family: Rosaceae
- Plant Order: Rosales
- Total Species: 360+
25 Rose Facts for Kids
- Rose is the common name for several hundred flowering plants in the Rosa genus.
- The Rosa genus is a part of the Rosaceae plant family.
- Roses are arguably the most popular flower in the world. Around the world their beauty is used to as a symbol of love, romance, friendship, sympathy and sorrow.
- There are over 300 plant species that use the common name rose under the Rosa genus.
- Roses are perennial plants, that means they continuously grow year after year without needing to be replanted.
- Roses typically have dark green stems that have very sharp prickles (sharp thrones).
- The prickles on a rose bush help protect it from animals, they assist in grabbing and climbing.
- All species of roses have flowers with five petals, except for silky rose (Rosa sericea), it only has four petals.
- The flower of a rose plant can come in a wide range of shapes, sizes and colors.
- Some rose species that are classified as climbers can reach over 20 feet in height.
- A few of the colors a rose can be include, but aren’t limited to red, pink, yellow and white.
- Roses are a popular ornamental plant inside of homes and in gardens.
- The sweet briar (Rosa rubiginosa) rose is grown in gardens for its favorable scent.
- The redleaf rose (Rosa glauca) is grown in gardens for its remarkable beauty.
- The silky rose (Rosa sericea) is grown in gardens for its amazing bright red thorns.
- The moyes rose (rosa moyesii) is grown in gardens for its unique fruit.
- Roses are a popular gift human give to each other and the color of the roses have a specific meaning.
- For example, red roses are given to someone you love and as a sign of romance.
- Another example, white roses are given to someone you care about and as a sign of friendship.
- Oil is extracted from the petals of roses to create rose oil, which is then used in cosmetic fragrances.
- Rose water is a popular beverage made by steeping rose petals in water.
- The oldest living rose is a dog rose (Rosa canina) bush that is over 1,000 years old. It’s found on the apse of the Hildesheim Cathedral in Germany.
- The oldest fossil evidence of a rose was found in Colorado and was estimated to be 35 million years old.
- The Juliet rose is the most expensive rose on the market. It was cultivated in 2006 by David Austin over a period of 15 years and at a cost of $5 million dollars.
- In 1986, the rose became the floral emblem of the United States of America.
A picture of a red rose flower.
A picture of pink rose flower.
A picture of yellow rose flower.
Additional Resources on Roses
- The History of Roses – Discover the history of roses on the University of Illinois website.
- Rose List A to Z – View a comprehensive list of rose flower species on the Florgeous website.
- Pictures of Roses – Look at some amazing pictures of roses on the Flickr website.
- Roses – Wikipedia – Read more about roses and the Rosa genus on the Wikipedia website.