Morning Glory Facts
- Plant Name: Morning Glory
- Plant Type: Flowering Plant
- Plant Family: Convolvulaceae
- Plant Genera: 10+
- Plant Order: Solanales
- Total Species: 1,000+
11 Morning Glory Facts for Kids
- Morning glory is the common name for one of many flowering plants in the Convolvulaceae family.
- There are over one thousand flowering plants that share the common name morning glory.
- Morning glory flowers got their name from their ability to open and close throughout the day.
- Morning glories are a non-woody (herbaceous) flowering vine plants.
- Morning glories are typically found growing on plants, trees, rocks and manmade structures.
- Morning glory flowers are funnel shaped and can open and close throughout the day.
- Morning glory flowers start to bloom (open) in the early morning hours and shut before sunset.
- The flowers of a morning glory come in a wide range of colors.
- The colors of a morning glory flower include, but aren’t limited to blue, purple, pink and white.
- Morning glory flowers bloom early in the summer and will continue to until fall when the first frost happens.
- Planting certain species of morning glories in your garden is a good way to attract butterflies and hummingbirds.
Morning Glory Pictures
A picture of a blue morning glory flower.
A picture of a pink morning glory flower.
A picture of purple morning glory flower.
Additional Resources on Morning Glories
- About Morning Glory Flowers – Discover more about morning glory flowers on the Cornell Univeristy website.
- Time Lapse Video of a Morning Glory – Watch a time lapse video of a morning glory flower opening on YouTube.
- How to Grow Morning Glory Flowers – Learn how you can grow morning glory flowers in your garden on the Wikipedia website.
- Morning glory – Wikipedia – Read more about morning glory flowers and the Convolvulaceae family on the Wikipedia website.