Pancreas Facts for Kids
- Organ Name: Pancreas
- Organ Location: Upper left abdomen
- Organ System: Digestive System
- Organ Purpose: Regulate blood sugar levels
- Organ Weight: Between 1.4 and 6.1 ounces
- Organ Length: About 6 inches
12 Pancreas Facts for Kids
- The pancreas is an organ that has a flat pear-like shape.
- The pancreas is part of the human digestive system and endocrine system.
- The primary function of the pancreas is to regulate blood sugar levels and metabolism.
- The pancreas also aids digestion by secreting a variety of enzymes (pancreatic juice).
- The pancreas can be found in the upper left abdomen area, behind the stomach.
- Diabetes type 1 is a disease that is caused by a pancreas that produces little to no insulin.
- Diabetes type 2 is a disease that is caused by insulin resistance, high blood sugar and an overall lack of insulin.
- People with diabetes need to watch what they eat and take insulin regularly.
- A healthy pancreas from a deceased human can be transplanted into another human with type 1 diabetes and end-stage renal disease.
- A human can live without their pancreas but would have to take insulin to regulate their blood sugar and enzyme supplements to support digestion.
- The Greek anatomist and surgeon Herophilus was the first person to identify the pancreas.
- The Greek anatomist Rufus of Ephesus was the person who gave the pancreas its name, which was a few hundred years after it was first identified by Herophilus.
Pictures of the Pancreas
A diagram showing how the human pancreas works.
Credit: AbbVie Inc
A computed tomography scan (CT Scan) of the pancreas.
An illustration of a pancreatic tumor on the pancreas.
Additional Resources About the Human Pancreas
- How the Pancreas Works – Read about the pancreas and learn what it does in the human body on the NCBI website.
- Pancreas Facts – Find more useful pacreas facts by reading this article on the LiveScience website.
- Pancreatic Diseases – Learn about the diseases and disorders that affect the pancreas on the MedlinePlus website.
- Pancreas – Wikipedia – Discover more interesting facts about the pancreas on the Wikipedia website.